UKC

Binn Green Car Park (Ravenstones) closed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 11 Jun 2018

Binn Green car park, used for access to No match for crag id:122 among others, is closed until July 2018. I assume the main Dove Stone car park is nearest alternative.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/dove-stone/

Post edited at 14:11
 Andrew Lodge 11 Jun 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

There is a lay by just below Binn Green that has space for a few cars.

Removed User 11 Jun 2018

Ravenstones can also be accessed from Standing Stones parking. Though the farmer was tried to stop it by placing boulders you can still get a car parked off the road on the moor edge.

ste_d 11 Jun 2018

As noted by Andrew, there is quite a big lay by on the A635 right outside the Binn Green car park, if you are early enough best use that

Phil West 11 Jun 2018

It's worth bearing in mind that this area is suffering at the moment with massive influx of visitors, no doubt driven by the fabulous weather. As such, the police are present at weekends and when the main car park is full (by 10am I would guess) then they are stopping cars from entering. There are a couple of laybys on the Isle of Skye Rd but only for a few cars (<10 overall). I drove past yesterday evening and the red 'Car park full' sign was still on the main road and the car park was heaving although I didn't see any police.

The amount of litter (barbecues, beer cans, etc) is a massive concern too,  generally from the local scallies.

The area has very good public transport links and it's worth bearing in mind that the bus from Oldham terminates at the Clarence Inn in Greenfield (also closed at the moment) gives only a 15 minute walk to the main Dovestones car park. Back in the day, I used to run down from the Wimberry boulders to catch the last bus in 20 mins Alternatively, the train from Manchester Piccadilly or Huddersfield stops at the other end of Greenfield which will add c.30 mins on but offers a couple of good pubs on the way back. You are in it for the adventure, aren't you

So make sure you get an early start or take the bus would be my advice. Good luck!

Phil

Mike_d78 11 Jun 2018

There's also a layby a couple of hundred yards up from Binn Green, definitely worth a look if the Binn Green layby is full.

mrphilipoldham 11 Jun 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Check the BMC RAD, there's another access route to Standing Stones (and Ravenstones, if you don't mind dropping down and climbing back up again) from the summit of the A635. There's a big lay-by.

Removed User 11 Jun 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

That's where I meant, but by the actual gate leading to the track - saves you traipsing for an age down the roadside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...