UKC

Crag Access: Lorry Park Quarry - Consultation on Aldi development

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Access here has been out of the question for most of 2023 due to the commencement of site clearance work for the long planned housing development.

However, there are now new proposals being put forward to open an Aldi store on here instead.

It's not clear yet whether this is instead of the housing, or as well as. Certainly no actual construction work has started yet on any housing.

Whilst from a climbers perspective it would be better if no development went a ahead there is potentially more hope for continued climbing in the use of the site for retail rather than housing, if this turns out to be instead of the housing. At least the potential for privacy based objections is reduced.

There is currently an online public consultation going on, which runs until the 15th Dec- https://aldiconsultation.co.uk/matlock/have-your-say/

The BMC has responded to this saying that it is okay with the development, so long as climbing access is maintained and has requested a site meeting to discuss how this might work in practice. 

The BMC would encourage all climbers who have enjoyed climbing here, or would like to in future, to respond to this consultation, stressing how valued the site is by our community and what a grievous loss it would be if climbing became permanently prohibited. Local voices will always carry the most weight, so please do respond to this is you live in the area.

There is also an in person event: At The Lime Tree, Lime Tree Business Park, Lime Tree Road, Matlock, DE4 3EJ from 14:00-19:00 on Thursday 7th December 2023. At least one climber is intending to attend. Any others who can make it would doubtless help underline how important the site is to us.

Mowglee 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Access BMC (England):

Edit - this actually looks very encouraging: https://aldiconsultation.co.uk/matlock/wp-content/uploads/sites/170/2023/12...

Will be dead handy for snacks.

Post edited at 16:23

Thanks. Submitted something stressing how climbing is important for the local economy. 

It does include some questions about your shopping habits!

Alan

kristian Global Crag Moderator 04 Dec 2023

I don't think this has anything to do with the development below the crag for 17 dwelling houses rather a redevelopment of the old Tarmac/council offices John Hadfield house. The proposed Aldi site is at the other end of the quarry with no rock of interest. 

Dan Arkle 04 Dec 2023
In reply to kristian:

I don't know it well enough to know if it it overlaps the climbing area, but here are the plans and a map for those who do. 

kristian Global Crag Moderator 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

My point exactly. The crag is on the back left wall past the vets and the newish road side house.

The application for 17 dwellings is with Derbyshire dales planning , address Harvey dale quarry.

Jeff Ingman 04 Dec 2023
In reply to kristian:

What Kristian says is correct as I understand it. The owner of the on-site MOT garage told me 6 months ago that there would be 17 houses and an Aldi store on the site

Thanks Kris, Dan, Jeff. That seems to clear up the question of whether this is as well as or instead of the housing. With that in mind there is only marginal benefit in responding to the consultation.

I am not so sure. More is more when it comes to these things since responses are seldom very numerous. Supporting the idea of climbers having use of the quarry in the planner's mind is never going to be a bad thing even if the supermarket isn't the main issue. Getting Aldi onside by climbers being positive supermarket might not be a bad thing either, although they may not notice or care.

Alan

Post edited at 10:35
 kristian Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2023

If by some miracle the housing developer/residents allows climbing or turns a blind eye to it the biggest issue will probably be the access point through or around the catch fence. It would be preferable to approach via the Aldi car park rather than up a private drive past the houses. It may still be beneficial to make a contact regarding this.

Thanks. Both good points. It will be interesting to get a feel for Aldi's view on climbers access at the drop in on Thursday.

Philb1950 05 Dec 2023

When the Sainsbury’s store was built in an old quarry in Matlock, the whole of the old quarry face in which the building and car park are located were covered in rockfall containment mesh draperies. I would expect something similar here.

kristian Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2023
In reply to Philb1950:

Around the housing development where the crag is they have opted to removed the slope and dig a trench so falling rocks will just thud rather than bounce. It was apparently too expensive to net the face. There will still be high fence to get around.

Philb1950 05 Dec 2023
In reply to kristian:

If there’s enough  stand off from the toe to accommodate falling rocks then fine for a bund and fence. Modelling of the trajectory is notoriously difficult with so many variables. I was once asked to review the proposed site for a lay-by on the A55 expressway after modelling deemed it OK. I had my doubts and undertaking falling rock trajectory testing one large boulder landed in the middle of the proposed site. No lay-by, but on the plus side climbing is now allowed.

Luke90 05 Dec 2023
In reply to Philb1950:

> undertaking falling rock trajectory testing

I want your job!

Gary Gibson 13 Dec 2023
In reply to Access BMC (England): I have registered my disagreed with this proposal this proposal 

Phil79 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Philb1950:

I've done some 2d rock fall modelling using Rocscience in the past. Great fun lobbing rocks off a cliff and see if they destroy any hypothetical cars parked at the bottom. Its an interesting thing to play around with for sure.   

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...