UKC

Craig Ty Newydd -no access!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elfyn Jones 28 Apr 2017
The restrictions here remain in place (due to concerns about bio security and avian flu isdues).
It seems some people have been climbing here in the last few days despite clear on site signs advising there is no access.
Please do not access this crag until the restrictiions are lifted.

Elfyn Jones
BMC Access & Conservation Officer.

toad 28 Apr 2017
In reply to Elfyn Jones:
Whilst I wouldn't want to antagonise land owners, are you aware of this?.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39720048
 Dave Garnett 28 Apr 2017
In reply to toad:

If you are outside the high risk zones (where birds had to be kept indoors or kept in completely wired enclosures - basically aviaries), the restrictions haven't changed and the biosecurity measures are still in place. For instance, you are meant to restrict access to areas where poultry are being kept and keep a record of anyone visiting.

toad 28 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:
Ok. I know that informally, Defra aren't really bothered about the reporting of unexplained bird deaths anymore. I'm also aware that during foot and mouth, access restrictions were used as an excuse to limit farmland access long after the threat had diminished.

As I said, where access is sensitive, I would not wish to antagonise land owners, and I don't keep poultry, but I would be interested to know what the objective* risks are now considered to be

* I appreciate that in environmental sciences, "objective" is a difficult word
 Dave Garnett 28 Apr 2017
In reply to toad:

> I appreciate that in environmental sciences, "objective" is a difficult word

I think that once DEFRA and the Chief Vet are involved it means whatever they say it means.

Anyway, I've just checked and there's an announcement today that all the restrictions will be lifted on May 15th, barring any further reported cases.

Which is good news because having 8 guinea fowl confined to a stable has been a pain - the noise is unbelievable!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...