UKC

Low grade climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rodw 24 May 2020

I live close to Helsby and Frodsham outcrops any suggestions for taking a 9 yr old grandson for scrambles and low grade climbs. Haven’t been there since my my early 20 ts

steveriley 24 May 2020
In reply to rodw:

I’d be tempted to improvise- from Frodsham monument head down and left towards Helsby on the footpath for 5 mins. Not far past a set of steep steps you’ll find some easier angled stuff with easy tree belays. The scouts use this bit occasionally for top roping. You’re in the right sort of area if you find lots of carved initials and names.

pec 24 May 2020
In reply to rodw:

Most of the stuff in that immediate area isn't ideal for young novices so whilst not as close as Helsby or Fodsham crags, Irby on the Wirral may be worth checking out.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/irby_quarry-1111

Pekkie 25 May 2020
In reply to rodw:

Try Facebook group Friends of Pex Hill (just search on facebook & ask to join) which covers Cheshire & Merseyside Sandstone (recent BMC guidebook, worth getting) - which has a recent discussion about this very issue. Topo guide to Back Slabs at Pex which is handy for beginners/kids learning to climb/abseil included in Files along with mini-bouldering guides to less-frequented venues in the area. That's if you don't mind crossing the new bridge!

Post edited at 10:08
OP rodw 25 May 2020
In reply to steveriley:thanks 

OP rodw 25 May 2020
In reply to pec:thanks 

OP rodw 25 May 2020
In reply to Pekkie:

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...