UKC

Rhododendrens at Wharncliffe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 05 Aug 2016
Wharncliffe Crags

There seem to be a good few clusters taking hold in the section around Great Buttress (eg one under Pillar Arete). I'd suggest people who can identify the plant remove any small seedlings they see and will consult on if we can get a clean up to remove the larger clusters. It would be a disaster if they took over that boulder field.
 DerwentDiluted 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

My parents are pretty heavily involved in management of the Wharncliffe heath area, I think the Rhodedendrons are fair game, as are, in some areas, Silver Birch. I can get you some contacts as there are already quite a few management efforts and involving climbers seems like a very good idea.
OP Offwidth 05 Aug 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

If they get established they will spread really fast and be a bugger to control in a boulder field... needs dealing with sooner rather than later. Email me off forum if you want to plan anything. I'll probably go back with my basic pruning kit next week.
 DerwentDiluted 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

I have spoken to them and they would be 'extremely grateful' for help from the climbing community. They are part of the Wharncliffe Heath Trust which manages the enclosed nature reserve. However they have said that they really really DO NOT want people to attack rhododendron randomly. This is because there are a herd of Shetland Sheep who will be poisoned by any branches not removed from the site, and they also have a management plan aimed at the wider ecosystem such as encouraging night jar. Outside the nature reserve it is a different management plan, but the two are joined up. Ad hoc efforts are not encouraged but volunteers for scheduled clearance are welcome. If climbing access is not part of the management plan, then efforts by climbers on the boulders would probably be welcomed but should be made in conjunction and consultation with the trust and landowners.

http://www.wharncliffeheathlandstrust.org.uk/

I will PM contact details for management of the reserve and the outside area to Offwidth.
 Tom Valentine 06 Aug 2016

Good luck with expecting sheep to evoke a sympathetic reaction on here....
OP Offwidth 07 Aug 2016

Cheers, I will contact them and if given permissions will 'bag out' anything I remove.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...