UKC

Rights of way on Cadair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all,

I was looking through my pile of maps at the weekend and realised I've got 3 different versions of OL23. Comparing the editions from 2015 and 2019 I can see that the pony path from Ty Nant to 560 is no longer marked as a public right of way on the more recent version. Most of its on access land but theres a short section past Ty Nant itself which isn't. This land belongs to Gwynedd council I believe?

Is it wrong to be a bit concerned about this small section of RoW dropping off the map? Does anyone have any info about this? I suspect Myfyr might have some insight...

In reply to pancakeandchips:

If I'm looking at the same bit (Anquet OMN with latest OS update) the public footpath from the toilet/car park through Ty-nant, is showing. 

Myfyr Tomos 05 Feb 2024

Evening all. Oooh, interesting that - I haven't heard of any changes, very unlikely I'd say. All my maps show the right of way, but none are very current...🤦‍♂️ I'll check some up-to-date ones tomorrow and have a look at the definitive map. Something to note is the actual line of the public right of way on the OS map, from where it leaves the road to just beyond  the Will Ramsbotham memorial. It's shown on the SW side of the stream with no access from the road and crosses a few walls and fences before joining the "proper path" higher up. The definitive will show where the "correct" line is.

You're right, the land from the tarmac up to the first kissing gate is Ty Nant farm and is owned by Gwynedd Council. From the kissing gate up to the memorial is Tyddyn Mawr farm and is not access land but all is very amicable there. Access land starts at the memorial gate.

Post edited at 21:56
 Myfyr Tomos 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Another path of interest on older maps was the public right of way into Cwm Cau from Minffordd. It came up to Llyn Cau, crossed the outflow and went straight up the gully to the left of Tapiau Llwydion slabs and on to the summit. The Aberdyfi Rescue Team campaigned to have it deleted and that's why the public right of way now ends at Llyn Cau.

ps. some of the "more mature" members of Aberdyfi can fill in the gaps.

Post edited at 21:57
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Ha, that gully is not a pleasant place to be... I'll get the history from Dave. I wonder if someone in an office got it confused with the stone chute?

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Here's the 2015 and 2019 versions compared.

doughobbs 06 Feb 2024

It could be an error, OS do make mistakes from time to time, contact them and query it, they should be able to answer it whatever the reason for the change between older and newer maps

More-On 06 Feb 2024

The PROW is showing on my OS mapping app as per your 2015 map...

...And is on the Gwynedd definitive map too, so all good I'd say. Interesting 'printing' issue though!

Post edited at 07:58
 Spready 06 Feb 2024

Shown on Online Mapping..

Myfyr Tomos 07 Feb 2024

This is the definitive map.

Myfyr Tomos 07 Feb 2024

And this is the Gwynedd Council Rights of Way map.

Myfyr Tomos 07 Feb 2024

And finally, this is the National Park promoted route. No one was aware of its exclusion from some OS maps, so well spotted Tom. A printing error most likely.

Mark Storey 10 Feb 2024

A bit off topic, but as I understand it all the definitive Welsh RoWs will all be on a standard, zoomable map following the same standard. Ynys Mon has been completed:

https://publicrightsofway.anglesey.gov.uk/standardmap.aspx?lang=en

Other LAs to follow.

In reply to Mark Storey:

That's awesome, thanks for pointing it out. Do you know when this is likely to be completed?

ChrisJD 10 Feb 2024

It is shown on the the 1:25k 2023 OS via Memory Maps.

Mark Storey 11 Feb 2024

Sorry, I've no idea. Given that we (Monmouthshire) have only 1 RoW officer, 1 enforcement officer and a couple of part time workers, plus a stretched IT department then no time soon would be my answer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...