UKC

Scugdale Footpath.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 18 Oct 2023

The footpath up to Scugdale suffers from periodic drainage problems. There are a number of springs that cross the path in ditches or hidden culverts. Occasionally they become blocked and the springs follow the natural drainage line which is the footpath , making it boggy.

The problem has reoccurred and the National Park Ranger undertook to conduct an onsite assessment along with the tennant farmer. The plan is for the National Park to provide some piping, aggragate, etc, and a workparty of volunteers, based on Cleveland Mountaineering Club members, will undertake the work. This will be a repeat of a project successfully undertaken some years ago.

On a visit yesterday, it was seen that someone has taken matters into their own hands and removed stones from the dry stone wall, to construct a causeway some tens of metres long, up the line of the path. However well intentioned this was, it risks undermining the good relations that exist with the tennant farmer and the landowners. It needs to be noted that the path is not a right of way and its use is permissive.

Arrangements are being made to undertake the remedial work, but in the meantime it is asked that no more stones are removed from the dry stone wall,as those that have will need to be replaced.

Should anyone wish to volunteer to help, it would be appreciated.

Mike Conlon

BMC Access and Conservation Volunteer 

In reply to Mike Conlon:

I appreciate you're treading a fine line, but I'm not so I'll say it:

Robbing stones from a dry stone wall to keep your feet dry isn't well intentioned. It's vandalism.

We should encourage the wall thief quietly to join the work party. 

petegunn 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Mike Conlon:

We visited over the weekend and the stones taken from the wall looked to be quite newly placed. Although probably well intentioned both myself and partner nearly rolled our ankles and actually preferred the mud than the stones.

The old fence with barbed wire is also broken and could easily snag a foot. Good work with the volunteer project, much appreciated.

Post edited at 14:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...