UKC

Thirlmere access update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pglossop 20 Dec 2023

Just had this in by mail:

Closed to vehicles cyclists and pedestrians, but the way are not sure they have the legal power to stop horse riders!

Schedule 33A

U7003   From a point approximately 3km from its southern junction with the A591 (X: 331567 Y: 515372) extending in an overall westerly direction to a point approximately 3.1km from its southern junction with the A591 (X: 31322 Y: 515440).

The use of barriers in support of the restrictions is permitted by Section 92 of the 1984 Road Traffic Regulation Act, however horse riders will be able to pass if they so choose. The Council will ensure that signage is erected to make horse riders aware of the danger together with signage that the road is closed to vehicles (including pedal cycles) and pedestrians.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Pglossop:

If I were to walk in the correct fashion followed by a page with coconut shells, would I be OK?

Wingnut 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Pglossop:

Anyone know where to buy a panto horse costume? Could probably persuade my BF to play, although who gets to go in front might depend on who had the most curry the night before!

spenser 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Pglossop:

Is there any hope of gaining formal access on foot/ bikes in future or is this like those crags where there is no hope of the landowner allowing access?

Jenny C 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Wingnut:

But what about a pantomime horse on a tandem bike?

Wainers44 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

> But what about a pantomime horse on a tandem bike?

Would they also be on a treadmill?

The Groak 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Pglossop:

I've walked it a few times from Steel End to Armboth and never seen anyone else or had any problems. It's really easy to pass the barriers and there's always the path by the reservoir, although it can be a tad awkward with the undergrowth and trees. Just ignore the signs and do it if you accept the "risk."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...