UKC

To Climb or Not to Climb?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timharris89 10 Mar 2017
Hello,
My name is Tim Harris, I am a 3rd year student at Liverpool John Moores University studying Outdoor education and Environmental Studies.

As part of my third year modules I am required to produce a Dissertation in an area of interest of my choice, with regards towards an outdoor or environmental theme. The specific area I have chosen looks at the co-existence between members of the public and the nesting Ring Ouzel across the North Lees estate, specifically the Stanage area.
The basis of the questionnaire is to see whether or not members of the public specifically climbers/walkers recklessly or intentionally will disturb nesting birds in their pursuit to climb/walk. I look to help raise awareness of the issues surrounding the conservation of the birds like the Ring Ouzel.

I would be very, very grateful if you were to help me with my request. People need to be made aware of the need for sustainable conservation, in which we can all can co-exist in harmony!!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1GMZqgHaFH0IUg7YI1VWNV-CSCMaOGufQpCn2ABMQo_...

Thanks very much for your time. I look forward to your response.
 Oceanrower 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:

The first two are tough. How am I supposed to know how old and what sex the bird in the photo is?
 Doug 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

I would have preferred a maybe option to the question

"Do you think that signs would be a good idea to educate the public and protect the Ring Ouzel whilst they are in nesting season ?"

as I think it depends on the sign, particularly the wording, and the location

But one of the better questionnaires
OP Timharris89 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

Thanks for your response. I really could do with accurate responses that try not to deviate from the task in hand. Thanks anyway.

the bird is Male and hes about 4 years old

In reply to Doug:

Thanks very much for your time. Really appreciate it !
 slab_happy 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:
I'm unsure what this means:

"Do you visit the same Location or alternate your destination ?
Same location
Alternate destination"

Does it mean "do you visit the same part of Stanage each time?" or "do you climb at crags other than Stanage?", or something else?
Post edited at 14:41
 Simon Caldwell 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:

"Why would you visit Stanage Edge ? Climbing, Walking, or Other.
I visit it mostly for climbing or running but occasionally for walking, but I'm only allowed to choose one answer?
thelurker 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:
There and their are different words with different meanings.
Only proper nouns begin with capitals.
Alternate doesn't mean what you think it does.

These failures deterred me from completing the questionnaire.
In reply to slab_happy:

yes it means what you thought it meant?
thanks for your time !
 slab_happy 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:

> yes it means what you thought it meant?

I don't know what it meant -- that's why I gave several possible interpretations! Which one did you mean?
 bonebag 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:

Personally I think the off limits area when the Ring Ouzel is nesting is too small. The signs at/close to the breeding site to educate the public are a great idea. A similar set up at another Peak District crag works very well with breeding Peregrine Falcons.

As a climber/walker I would avoid disturbance so long as I knew they were there as I'm sure the vast majority of other climbers and walkers would do.
 Chris_Mellor 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:

Tsk, tsk Tim. Try this; The bird is male and he's about 4 years old

Your friendly local pedant .....

Chris_Mellor 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:

Too funny. I shall forever afterwards think of a Ring Ouzel as Torquatus the Turd.
In reply to Timharris89:

From an academic point of view the questionnaire research is about finding out what other people think, not telling them what you think or promoting an agenda. This questionnaire obviously has a view about what climbers/walkers should do and that is going to bias the responses.

It even asks whether the questionnaire has changed the respondents views: if a questionnaire changes the respondents views then it has failed. If you change the views of your sample then the data you collect from the sample no longer reflects the larger population.
 Bulls Crack 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Timharris89:

Done but why would the survey change opinions about the need for (the) conservation (of) nesting birds ? There's no context/info
 Trangia 11 Mar 2017
In reply to thelurker:

And since we are in the realm of pedants the OP should be aware that "regards" should be singular - "regard". And why "with regard towards"? Why not "with regard to"?

To the OP, I've completed your survey, but the pedants on here have a point. If you want your Dissertation to carry more weight you need to get on top of your use of English.
OP Timharris89 14 Mar 2017
In reply to thelurker:

Candle Blower : Blows other peoples lights out to make their own light shine brighter. Get a grip on what really matters, i'm not trying to start a war. Simply trying to raise awareness for something i care about. Maybe you should use your time more wisely, instead of 'Lurking' around on internet forums for surveys with bad grammar and spelling,that you never intended to fill out in the first place. Good luck friend

> There and their are different words with different meanings.Only proper nouns begin with capitals.Alternate doesn't mean what you think it does.These failures deterred me from completing the questionnaire.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...