UKC

Vixen Tor mass trespass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kmsands 19 Feb 2024

The Right to Roam campaign is organising a mass trespass at Vixen Tor (scene of some bitter access disputes some years ago), next Saturday, Climbing is not mentioned, and the Wicker Man type shenanigans of the promised "performers and musicians" might put you off your stride were you to have a go. Interestingly the campaign suggests the rocks themselves are still public access land, islanded by the landowner having the rights of way cut off some years ago. Anyway, might be of interest to some in the climbing community... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/19/mass-trespass-dartmoor-engl...

Post edited at 09:10
 Toccata 19 Feb 2024
In reply to kmsands:

Reading my OS map VT is not on access land. I thought it used to be, has this changed?

myrddinmuse 19 Feb 2024
In reply to kmsands:

Vixen tor is a really interesting spot. 

As documented in this UKC thread, it is alleged that the surrounding area was illegally 'improved' by the landowner (the habitat destroyed via aggressive fertilisation of the soil) in order for their objections to inclusion within CRoW to be accepted. https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/crag_access/access_shock_at_vixen_tor_und...

There are several 'access islands' in the immediate surrounding area - that is the 'theme' of the march but it doesn't relate specifically to the tor to which access is firmly denied. Climbers have (I'm going to say also allegedly) been assaulted and had their ropes cut in the past when they have ventured there. 

From a BMC access perspective it is a fairly perfect example of the flaws inherent in the partialist approach of CRoW in designating some land as worthy and other land unworthy for public enjoyment based on arbitrary and easily manipulated criteria, perverse incentives.

I'll be at the event with my BMC hat on and hope to see plenty of members there too - we are just figuring out how to balance it from a BMC point of view as we are generally quite keen to balance landowner relationships on which much of our access relies with the simple fact that all options have been exhausted here.

Post edited at 14:38
 Phil79 19 Feb 2024
In reply to Toccata:

No, I think that's correct, Vixen tor itself isn't CROW land. That was what the court cases back along were trying to argue (unsuccessfully).

But the OS map shows a bit of CROW access land immediately adjacent, which has no access apart from across the 'private' bit of Vixen Tor. I assume this is what they are aiming for, as this protest is all about lack of access to bits of land like this ('access islands').

I shall be going. The last one on Darwalls patch of moorland was good, great atmosphere, and nice to see plenty of people willing to stand up for right to roam.

It could be interesting, given the landowners reputation!

Post edited at 15:00
 Lankyman 20 Feb 2024
In reply to Phil79:

> It could be interesting, given the landowners reputation!

It's a shame I don't live anywhere near Dartmoor. I'd definitely be up for a Kinder-style access 'trespass'. Good luck and don't put up with any nonsense.

Mark Kemball 20 Feb 2024
In reply to kmsands:

I believe the protest has been postponed / cancelled.

In reply to Mark Kemball:

Yup, postponed to avoid damage to the waterlogged ground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...