UKC

A Bit of a Stretch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 26 Mar 2023

Ordered 'A Bit of a Stretch: The Diaries of a Prisoner' by Chris Atkins, from World of Books. Anyone read this? I have it on good authority that it is an excellent read!

Rob Parsons 26 Mar 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

> Ordered 'A Bit of a Stretch: The Diaries of a Prisoner' by Chris Atkins, from World of Books. Anyone read this?

I got into the spirit of the thing, and stole my copy.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

Hollow it out and stash a file or a burner phone in it!

Some prison books I've read before include A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich and The Long Walk. I'm very much hoping that this one, being British, has undertones of humour in it; also it's contemporary so should be something of an eye opener, hopefully!

Hooo 26 Mar 2023

I picked it up on a whim and it was well worth reading. As a middle class white guy myself, it's a rare prison tale that is written by someone I can relate to. It's pretty depressing in it's assessment of the prison system and the chances of anyone without his privileges to escape it.

I loved Ivan Denisovich, must read it again sometime. The Long Walk is the Polish guy who escaped from Siberia and saw the Yeti, yes? Fun, but a bit silly claiming it as a true story.

In reply to Hooo:

> The Long Walk is the Polish guy who escaped from Siberia and saw the Yeti, yes? Fun, but a bit silly claiming it as a true story.

I'd forgotten the Yeti incident. Interestingly there exists some controversy as to whether Sławomir Rawicz was part of the party who made the long walk from Siberia to India 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C5%82awomir_Rawicz

Hooo 26 Mar 2023

Yes, I grew more and more dubious about the truth of the story while I was reading it, and then afterwards discovered that I wasn't the only one suspicious about it.

> Ordered 'A Bit of a Stretch: The Diaries of a Prisoner' by Chris Atkins, from World of Books. Anyone read this? I have it on good authority that it is an excellent read!

Read this now and I can confirm that it is in fact an excellent read.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...