UKC

A week on Colonsay?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 02 Dec 2022

Last March we visited Islay which was easily large and varied enough to justify a week. Weather was good too which always helps. I'm thinking of Colonsay next spring but it's relatively small and with fewer accommodation options. It's also not as easy to get to as other islands. I'd be going to walk rather than climb. I've got some guidebooks but would be interested to hear about anyone else's thoughts/recommendations. Does it warrant a week?

Phil1919 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

Lovely island. It would be a bit small to base a weeks walking on, but a great place to immerse yourself in. The bird reserve on Oronsay is great in Spring. Some nice camping spots. Some lovely beaches. You could go for ferries that allow you to spend half a week there. But if you decided to go there just to take it all in and just 'be' there, a lovely place. Good central place to view other islands. Treat yourself to a meal on the ferry. Otters, corncrake amongst things to look out for.

Jack Frost 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2016/10/new-adventure-macphie-bagging-on-co... 

http://www.colonsay.info/text/MacPhee-Bagging%20(Lite).htm

I managed 20/22 MacPhee summits in a 4day visit in summer 2020. Expect a lot of heather bashing. 

OP Lankyman 03 Dec 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

Just ' being ' there sounds alright to me. I think there's a weekly (?) link to Islay which could allow a mid-week day trip off the island. We were on Skye in September which was markedly busier than my last visit (before the bridge!). Somewhere quieter would be good.

OP Lankyman 03 Dec 2022
In reply to Jack Frost:

> I managed 20/22 MacPhee summits in a 4day visit in summer 2020. Expect a lot of heather bashing. 

A tick list for the 'long-covidally challenged' perhaps?

In reply to Jack Frost:

> I managed 20/22 MacPhee summits in a 4day visit in summer 2020. Expect a lot of heather bashing. 

I did the MacPhees in a oner. Took about ten hours including a dash across the Strand to Oronsay. Some very rough terrain on this round!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...