UKC

Ailefroide - Campsite busy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slarti B 07 Jul 2020

Hi, hoping to be in Ailefroide next week ( 12 Jul onwards).  I just wondered if anyone knew how busy the camp site is at the moment?  I am a bit concerned it may be full of other people celebrating end of lcok down. 

John Cuthbert 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Slarti B:

Why don't u msg them?

They will reply in English on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/Camping-Ailefroide-264458087296873/

John C

In reply to Slarti B:

I live 30 mins down the road from Ailefroide, the camp site is not super busy at the moment, but its not yet the start of the holidays or the peak time, I would normally expect it to get busy around the 16th. 

From what I am hearing from many areas across France, I think it will be busy this summer, many people want to get away climbing or just to the mountains.

Over all the climbing across the whole area Ailefroide and Braincon etc it is getting busy at certain venues but not all, 3 times in the last week we have had venues to ourselves. 

Over all the local population are happy to see tourist's, for many of us its our employment and it brings a bit of life to some places, we are hopping the summer goes well and everyone has fun, but please remember you say you are worried about other people being there, well you are other people to locals we don't have any where else to go if everyone does come, I not saying this to put anyone off, I want people to come, I just think its important that where ever people end up this summer that everyone works together to stay safe. 

If you are bothered by numbers you may be better staying in a small less know campsite and driving to Ailefroide or some of the other venues there is a lot of climbing to pick from. 

OP Slarti B 08 Jul 2020
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Hi and thanks for the reply.  We are regulars to Ailefroide and normally go the last week in June, before the busy period, but obviously this year we had to delay.  Since this is an unusual year, I wasn't sure what it would be like.   

I have been looking forward so much to the Ecrins and the Ailefroides camping is one of the most beautiful I know.  We are glad the rules have changed but we will probably keep to ouselves as much as possible.  

btw I love your profile picture!!

In reply to Slarti B:

If you head to Aielfroide and its busy, drop me a line and i can give you a heads up on some quieter areas, if you have the big multi pitch guide book check out routes in the Cerces big limestone walls and towers, a longer walk in but never see many people climbing there.

cheers

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Slarti B:

I was up there today and it looked pretty busy to me - but we only normally visit well out of season. Lots of climbers, and lots of cars, and lots of tents,

Chris

OP Slarti B 09 Jul 2020
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Many thanks, I have the big guidebook and will have a look at your suggestion.  We still love Ailefroide though

@Chris
Mmmmm.... But that picture just makes me want to be there even more!!

In reply to Chris Craggs:

That's not busy Chris , in the main 3 weeks of August its rammed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...