UKC

Ailefroide weather - advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rik 22 May 2023

I’m supposed to be heading down to Ailefroide this Friday (26/05) intending to stay just over a week climbing multi pitch routes. But the weather forecasts (Meteo France, Meteo Bleu and others) are pretty poor/dreadful.

Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated; is the week likely to be a total washout as the forecasts suggest? Or am I missing something?

It’s a long way to drive from the UK to sit in the rain (I can do that at home) particularly as English and Welsh crags look likely to be sunny and dry for the whole time! I’d be grateful for any advice, so thanks in advance.

Rik

Post edited at 14:01
 LakesWinter 22 May 2023
In reply to Rik:

Looking at the general forecasted pattern of high pressure over the UK and persistent lower pressure over France/Italy then I'd be tempted to sack it and go out in the mountains in the UK...

In reply to Rik:

Hi, 

I am 25 mins down the road from Ailefroide. We are having a bit of an issue with weather forecasting here at the moment, it seams for  3-4 weeks the forecast has be doom and gloom, but very rarely been as bad as it forecasts. 

I climbed yesterday in Ailefroide, and the forecast right up to Sat eve was crap, but fine on the day. Most of us are ignoring the forecast for things like cragging and still getting good days out.

Thats said, it not wall to wall blue sky. It's overcast and cloudy with the threat of rain, most days, even if it doesn't often come too much. It's a tough call, if you know the uk is going to be dry then I would maybe stay there. 

Doug 22 May 2023
In reply to ecrinscollective:

As Rob says, for a while the forecasts have been very pessimistic & its rarely been as bad as forecast. I'm a little south of Ailefroide but here in the Champsaur over the last couple of weeks its often been good in the morning but with some drizzle/light rain late afternoon or evening (& not the heavy rain forecast).

Moacs 22 May 2023
In reply to Rik:

One thing to consider is that the village only really comes to life later on - July August and perhaps late June.

Doesn't stop you climbing, but it's not the same vibe.

OP Rik 22 May 2023

Hi Rob

I was hoping you’d pop up with a reply! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and helpful response. As you say, a tough call - we’ll leave it a couple of days before making a final decision.

Rik

OP Rik 22 May 2023

In reply to:

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Rik

In reply to Rik:

Hi Rik, 

No worries, its hard to know what to suggest, You can always drop me a line through here, or ecrinscollective group on Facebook. if you want info.

Hope you have a good trip where you end up. Cheers

OP Rik 24 May 2023

Thanks Rob

Common sense has prevailed. We’re off to N Wales which has sunshine forecast for the next week or so. Ailefroide next year though - is the weather always this poor at this time of year?

Rik

Doug 24 May 2023
In reply to Rik:

>  - is the weather always this poor at this time of year?

No, I was looking at some pictures taken exactly one year ago & everyone is in shorts & teeshirts with a bright blue sky. Very different from the last couple of weeks, but obviously bad weather is always possible. Although usually its just a couple of bad days before the good weather returns.

philipjardine 24 May 2023
In reply to Rik:

the French have a rather lovely expression "qui écoute trop la météo reste au bistrot".

that's certainly been true in the last few weeks where the weather forecasts have been all over the place (apart from regularly mentioning high pressure over the UK - please can we have our high pressure back?)

In reply to philipjardine:

Is there any kind of longterm prediction for the weather this June? I was thinking of visiting Ailefroide the week of June 19 as I have a conference in Lyon the following week -- hopefully it clears up by then. Do the boulders dry quickly? I'd be solo and not sure how easy it is to find partners for sport, especially since I climb low grades and am a relative beginner. Any advice appreciated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...