UKC

Argentinian Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Merlin 05 Oct 2019

Looking for info and ideas on climbing in the Argentinian Lake District; short (day or two) trip whilst I’m there on holiday would be ideal. Any help would be great?

TVM

martin09 05 Oct 2019
In reply to Merlin:

If my memory is right then the main town is Bariloche and many years ago I was there working and used a guide ( had no partner and unable to bring my own kit save shoes) to travel (4 -5 hour walk) to an area called 'Cathederal ' (not 100% sure of the spelling) where there was a mountain refuge (staffed) right opposite a wonderful bolted granite climbing area. I cannot recall all the grades but certainly F5 to F6c.  beautiful area and classic granite and friendly locals. 

Sure you will track it down on the net in more detail.

sheelba 05 Oct 2019
In reply to Merlin:

Frey and Cochamo are the main places but not very suitable for a short trip. We went to a few small crags around but they weren’t very worthwhile. It’s an amazing place, I’d not bother taking climbing gear unless your going specifically to climb and do something else or climb one of the volcanoes 

abh 05 Oct 2019
In reply to Merlin:

Hi, yes, there is climbing at Refugio Frey. I was just trekking but it did look good

it is a ~40 min bus ride from town, then a 2 hour walk in. Would be best to stay a night in the Refugio..( which is great). 

I,be been to Bariloche a couple of times, as well as San Martin de kid Andes, so ping me if you have questions etc. Cheers

OP Merlin 06 Oct 2019
In reply to abh: Thanks All. Do you know if there is a good guidebook for the area? The photos online look stunning!

Tom Last 06 Oct 2019
In reply to Merlin:

There’s a nice guidebook to Frey, published by Sidarta and written, I think, by Rolando Garibotti. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...