Loading Notifications...

Basic campsites in Northumberland

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 tehmarks 09 Sep 2020

To continue a recent theme: can anyone recommend a cheap and basic campsite in Northumberland? I'd planned to visit my parents this weekend, but my brother has caught the plague and my partner has already booked a train ticket - so I'm thinking of introducing her to the wonders of the sandstone instead.

I've only ever climbed in Northumberland when I lived in Newcastle - so I've obviously never had reason to camp in the area. Any suggestions?

Lankyman 10 Sep 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

I've stayed at Demesne Farm in Bellingham but it was 10 or more years ago. That is fairly no-frills unless things have changed. Handy for Callerhues and not too far to other venues.

tehmarks 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

That looks to be a winner, cheers. That I don't have to sell my kidney to pitch a two-man tent guarantees that it's a winner! I spent a confused while looking at Google Maps when I checked the location though. 'Bellingham...eh? I didn't realise that Bowdon was so far south!?'

...Belford. I was thinking of Belford.

Heike 11 Sep 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Just make sure you book, never found a campsite last weekend that allowed us in - all full (Tried about 8 or so). Had to head back home to Scotland! Tried all sorts including Belford, Budle Bay, Seahouses etc.

Post edited at 21:09
 tehmarks 14 Sep 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

I ended up in Greencarts Campsite near Humshaugh in the end - £8/person/night, toilets and (covid-closed) showers and two fields, one which wouldn't fit caravans. Friendly and chilled - I'd happily go back.

tehmarks 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Heike:

Yeah - I was surprised to find the first two campsites I called on Friday had no space. I didn't expect Northumberland to be so popular at this time of year and with the recent cold weather!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.