UKC

Big Wall Climbing Locations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 emma1987 08 Nov 2018

Hi,

Looking for suggestions for locations for big wall climbing, not in Europe or America during the summer months July and August. We had our sights on Iran but visas are an issue at the moment so looking for other ideas...

dunnyg 08 Nov 2018

Theres some big stuff in Kyrgyzstan that might be interesting? Otherwise somewhere in the himalaya but I am not sure on the best time to attempt that sort of thing, and seems to be a step above the usual places in terms of commitment.

HeMa 08 Nov 2018
In reply to emma1987:

Big wall aid climbing or big wall free climbing?

Grade V (a long day for a quick party), Grade VI (at least one night on the wall, often more) or Grade VII (remote multiday excurision... think of Nameless tower in Karakoram).

OP emma1987 08 Nov 2018
In reply to HeMa:

free climbing, VI-VII.

Have you been to Pakistan? It's on the potential list....

OP emma1987 08 Nov 2018
In reply to dunnyg:

Have you been to Kyrgyzstan?

HeMa 08 Nov 2018
In reply to emma1987: 

Unfortunately no.

But it should certainly tick your boxes. 

India should also offer something, I know my friends have been there and enjoyed it.

Ala Archa (sp) in Kyrgystan is supposed to be rather good, my wife had a good trip there a while back.

What about Greenland or Madagascar?

Wadi Rum in Jordan and perhaps Taghia in Morocco could also be contenders. Though perhaps not during your timeframe.

Post edited at 18:54
 dunnyg 09 Nov 2018
In reply to emma1987:

Yes, I was doing more alpine climbing than big wall stuff. I'd be interested in anything you find out about over there. There are a couple of articles on UKC about brits doing some big walls out there. I'd recommend it as a place to travel to (and for alpine stuff). Relatively faff free etc..

tjekel 09 Nov 2018
In reply to emma1987:

July and August are not a good time for the indian himalayas due to the monsoons ...

In reply to emma1987:

Someone with this breadth of "vision" of climbing venues (e.g., planning to climb in Iran), but asking such naive questions, surely has to be a troll?!

Blanche DuBois 10 Nov 2018
In reply to John Stainforth:

> Someone with this breadth of "vision" of climbing venues (e.g., planning to climb in Iran), but asking such naive questions, surely has to be a troll?!

Oh FFS. Perhaps everyone should run all questions past you before posting?

Post edited at 04:33
 vscott 11 Nov 2018
In reply to emma1987: Greenland the obvious option for summer months (or more accessible albeit 'Europe') Norway e.g. Kvaloya 

Inhambane 12 Nov 2018
In reply to emma1987:

Wadi Rum has some long routes and it's possible to climb in the summer if you plan and select correctly. 

rpc 14 Nov 2018
In reply to emma1987:

Were you aiming for Iran in July/August? How sure are you that visas are impossible?

Some ideas...

Dragon Horns on Tioman Is. off peninsular Malaysia.  June I think is part of the dry season (dry is a relative descriptor here...); not sure what July/August are.  Stuff up to about 10 pitches on granite spires.

Bilibino area in Chukotka in the Russian far east.  Similar size, granite walls.  Late July-early Aug are primo.  Reeeemote.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...