UKC

Black Forest sport crag recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LP 08 Aug 2019

Chasing the sun around Europe this summer - just arrived in the Black Forest area in Germany and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some decent sport climbing. I'm near Titisee. Have done some searching but read too many comments such as "a luxurious 3 bolts " and " a selection of wires and cams should get you between the bolts" but I have no trad gear or balls. Cheers, Phil. 

cb294 08 Aug 2019
In reply to LP:

I have not been climbing there in many years, but the main climbing area in the Black forest is Battert, which is indeed a bit trad like.

The Teufelsfels near Gremmelsbach (a bit North from where you are) is supposedly better, as is Hornberger Platte (a newly developed area which has probably too many bolts).

For proper sport climbing near Freiburg the best area is probably Gueberschwihr across the border in Alsace (at least it was most popular 25 years ago when my wife lived in Freiburg).

CB

OP LP 08 Aug 2019
In reply to cb294: loads to explore there- thank you CB!

Dave Garnett 08 Aug 2019
In reply to LP:

I thought the Albbruck crags were pretty good on a quick visit last week.

Albtal

Well bolted and all grades but probably too far south for you.

OP LP 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Thanks Dave! Are you ESC Dave by the way?

Dave Garnett 09 Aug 2019
In reply to LP:

ESC? I don’t post under any other profile if that’s what you mean.

We spent a pleasant evening at Albbruck as the least appropriate training imaginable for our jaunt in the Alps!

OP LP 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Sorry I Thought I recognised your name - probably going to head to albtal today. Found a little area called Poche yesterday which was a good introduction to the German bolting philosophy.  

OP LP 11 Aug 2019
In reply to LP:

Thanks for your help chaps- went to Albtal today - I think it's a really lovely crag, the pink gneiss is really nice to climb on. It was rather hot down there followed by a storm  so went from mid degrees + and looking like a climbing jellied eel to a total wash out in a very short time! Hope to revisit in autumn when I think it would be perfect. Cheers again! 

Dave Garnett 11 Aug 2019
In reply to LP:

Glad you enjoyed it. I hope to get back there myself sometime.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...