UKC

Camping recommendations (Gower area)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NaCl 15 Jun 2017
Hi all,

I and a bunch of mates are looking at heading to the Gower in a few weeks for a weekend camping and climbing.
Shopping around for sites and so far all the ones we've found have been ridiculously expensive (£15 pppn) for the facilities we actually need (order of importance: access to pub, access to crag, toilet. Shower optional).

Anyone recommend an el cheapo dirtbag site that fits the bill?

Cheers
 Alun 15 Jun 2017
In reply to NaCl:

The most basic campsite on Gower is Hill End, although it's still reasonably nice. It's the traditional place where "a bunch of mates" would feel very welcome. Walkable to the pub (just), but you'll need to make the short drive to Rhosilli for the nearest climbing.

The other site popular with climbers is Three Cliffs, as you can walk to loads of climbing from your tent, and can also walk to the Gower Inn down the hill. It's a bit posher though.
 scope 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Alun:
Hill End is £15 a night. Three Cliffs £17.50. Not exactly cheap.
Post edited at 22:15
 mik82 15 Jun 2017
In reply to NaCl:
I'm not sure there is a really cheap campsite that would fit.
Pitton Cross is fairly close to Rhossili and all the climbing areas in that area of the coast. The nearest pub would be in Rhossili. I'm not sure it's particularly cheap, and it may well be booked up too.
Post edited at 23:25
OP NaCl 16 Jun 2017
In reply to NaCl:

Hmm, I think we were hoping for something more in the sub tenner bracket but that doesn't seem to exist in the area. Ah well, cheers all
 whenry 16 Jun 2017
In reply to NaCl:

Try Oxwich Camping Park - https://sites.google.com/site/oxwichcampingpark/home. £8ppn on May Bank Holiday this year. Not so great for access to the pub though.
 Alun 16 Jun 2017
In reply to scope:

> Hill End is £15 a night.

If you're on your own, yes. But for a tent with three adults its £25 a night, with extra adults £5 each. So for four people sharing a big tent it's a fiver a night.

http://www.hillendcamping.com/pricing.php

I agree that Three Cliffs is a bit pricier and posher
 Ramblin dave 16 Jun 2017
In reply to NaCl:

> Hmm, I think we were hoping for something more in the sub tenner bracket but that doesn't seem to exist in the area. Ah well, cheers all

I think Gower is one of those areas where the campsites make their money off families who want to turn up on Saturday morning, check in at reception and stay for a week and aren't too worried about the price because it's their big holiday splash-out for the year and it's cheaper than renting a holiday home. That's their prerogative, but it makes it a bloody annoying place to organize a trip for a bunch of climbers who want to turn up late on Friday night, pay in the morning and disappear again on Sunday, and who'll start making "ow much?" noises if the price-per-night gets out of single figures.
 mik82 16 Jun 2017
In reply to NaCl:

Pitton Cross is £23 per night for a 6 man tent
 Dan Dyson 16 Jun 2017
In reply to NaCl:

http://www.easternsladecampsite.freeservers.com/index.html

£10 per night - you could stroll to either Horton or Oxwich for a pint if you need a pub.

By the way - on a connected matter: the top of Cefn Bryn is an SSSI not a campsite/van pull in. People should stop using it as one. There is a sign that says no overnight parking/camping. The erosion due to cars/vans turning up, lighting fires etc is increasing. And I know it includes climbers, as I see them walking back from the King Arthur and recognise them. You should use a campsite or some other spot that isn't an SSSI.
OP NaCl 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Dan Dyson:

perfect. Cheers dude - assuming we can get in there we shall raise a glass to Mr Dyson and sing his praises!
 john spence 17 Jun 2017
In reply to NaCl:

Got back yesterday from Gower, four of us stayed in a holiday bungalow. It worked out at £16. each per night..but that included bed linen, towels, a bbq, fully equipped kitchen, shower etc only a three minute walk to a bar/restaurant and shop. It beats dragging camping gear and cooking in a tent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...