UKC

Cattle Troughs rockfall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 29 May 2021

Has anyone been to Cattle Troughs since the rockfall that was reported on RAD recently?  Was thinking of heading there today.

mutt 29 May 2021
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

is a big place. I'm sure you'll be ok.

OP Jamie Wakeham 30 May 2021

So to answer my own question, for the benefit of anyone planning to go there:

Inspiration is fine.  Consolation has effectively fallen down - the middle third is gone (and currently looks quite unstable).  Chockney is unaffected in the lower reaches but has lost its chockstone (rename to -Ney?).  

There's some damage to the upper part of Chimney and, especially, Chimney Direct.  Resurrection and Perfection have lost a few blocks, and felt a little unstable.

I don't think there's been any real change to Fallen Block or Pulpit Route but there is a big (fridge sized) block which is, effectively, part of the top-out for these routes, which is shifting slightly if you stand on it.  

steve taylor 31 May 2021

I'd suggest that anyone in the area with the suitable skills and equipment should consider dealing with the fridge-sized block. There was a horrible (fatal) accident about 15 years ago when a similar-sized block was dislodged.

OP Jamie Wakeham 31 May 2021
In reply to steve taylor:

I agree: it sprang back up by ~1cm when I stepped back off it so it clearly has the potential to go.  I'm not local so can't easily go back and do it myself.

scott titt 31 May 2021
In reply to steve taylor:

Anyone you know that would be qualified Steve?😀

steve taylor 01 Jun 2021
In reply to scott titt:

Nah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...