UKC

Cortina - Saas - Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 11 May 2023

I'm heading up from Tuscany, and had planned to go to Cortina for some via ferrata, but last I heard it was snowing.
Plan B was to go to the Saas Valley, hike up to the Britannia Hut (I know the lifts are closed) and take a look at the Hohlaubgrat, but I don't expect it to be in good nick, but I always fancied a night in the Britannia. Might take my tent up.
Plan C was to go to Chamonix, maybe up to the Couvercle.
The weather looks shit for the next couple of weeks in all those areas, so if anybody is currently in any of those areas, and can advise me of conditions and outlook anywhere, other suggestions etc.
I only do via ferrata, snow plods or hiking.
Plan D is to go home.
Thank you.
Fred

philipjardine 11 May 2023
In reply to Fredt:

you will need skis or at least snow shoes to get up to the Couvercle at the moment.  Mountains all looking very white.  Its been raining on and off in the valley here all week and next week isn't any better.  I am thinking of heading to Provence although looks like a strong Mistral.

mcawle 11 May 2023
In reply to Fredt:

I don't know how literally you mean only snow plods/via ferrata, and my apologies if you are already taking this into account, but there is a short step (a pitch or so) of maybe UIAA II-III at the top of the Hohlaubgrat snow ridge where the snow has receded, at least in summer. Maybe it's more banked in spring. And there are some holes in the glacier below above the Britannia Hutte, although maybe they're more covered at the moment (or maybe not).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...