UKC

Croatia - Northern Velebit/Central Velebit trek and general info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tobes 14 Sep 2023

Heading to Croatia soon - first time there/that part of the world - doing a hut to hut walk, got a walking map of the area and the Cicerone guide. Will have 5-6 days available for the trek with a few days either side.

Just after any general tips, recommendations, do’s and don’ts, gas easily available or a fuel stove better option etc - 

Information implies ‘drinkable’ water is hard to come by on the trek, is this up to date do we know, filter system necessary? 

Thanks in advance (!) planning on a few beach days also, any cultural and food recommendations too? 

Hvala!

OP Tobes 15 Sep 2023
In reply to Tobes:

bump…

heleno 16 Sep 2023
In reply to Tobes:

Hopefully someone with more specific experience will be along soon, but just a few comments based on a 7-week rock climbing road trip by campervan last autumn...

love Croatia, and visiting out of season is magical.  The tourist infrastructure is great at that time of year - most things you might need are easy to obtain, but no crowds or high-rise development.  

Re drinking water... I have to admit to still being a bit cautious, but it's perhaps irrationally based on a GI infection picked up there nearly 20 years ago.  But in remote areas it might be worth using a filter or purification tabs.  Sorry, I don't know about gas, as we didn't need to re-fill.

I assume you know that wild camping is illegal, and is sometimes enforced, but if you're staying in huts that shouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully you won't need it any emergency help, but if you do, we had to make a 112 call in a remote area (on someone else's behalf) and the call handler was brilliant - she spoke excellent English and the police arrived promptly.  We've also used the doctor's surgery in Starigrad Paklenica which was very good.

For your beach days, the beaches are mostly rocky but very beautiful.  And we've had wonderful sea food in the coastal restaurants.

Hope this is of some use - I didn't reply earlier as it didn't seem entirely relevant, but in the absence of any other replies...

OP Tobes 16 Sep 2023
In reply to heleno:

That’s great and thanks for the reply! My o/h will be out there a few days ahead of myself (a work conference) so they might get some up to date info but most likely will be too busy so all info is much appreciated, thanks again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...