UKC

Cuillin Ridge - bivis on/near Gars Bheinn?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 badgerjockey 06 May 2024

Hi all,

Off to the ridge in May for a crack at it as a oner. Been on it a few times in the past so hopefully that will stand us in good stead. 

I’ve bivied in Coire Lagan and Coire Ghrunnda before but never on the ridge itself. I was wondering if there was any option to bivi on Gars Bheinn to allow for a start from the first summit at first light? We’d stash bivi gear for retrieval after. I’ve been up there once but it was years ago and didn’t scout around for biviable spots. There’s a photo on the internet of someone passing the night in a tiny tent which is promising but looks like an obscure grassier spur or something rather than the summit area. 

Other than having to retrieve stashed bivi gear afterwards and also probably having a fitful night in anything but good weather, can anyone think of good reasons not to do this? I just feel like cutting out the trudge in the dark from the campsite/coire to the start on the summit would save considerable time to help guarantee completion…

The fact that this is not talked about anywhere as a good way to do it does make me doubt myself!

Cheers  
H

In reply to badgerjockey:

The bivi on top of Gars Bheinn is fine/good. You’d best then stash your gear near the end of the easy first section of the ridge, around Sgurr Dubh na Da Bheinn, for easier later retrieval via Coire Ghrundda. (The route up to Gars B from Glen Brittle is a ghastly slog).

DaveHK 06 May 2024

There are several sites just below the summit. I've seen it discussed in a few places and it's definitely a fairly common strategy.

Post edited at 06:23
 ExiledScot 06 May 2024

Better to bivi at southern end of bealach a' garbh-choire, then head out and back for the first top without any kit, picking it up as you return. There's water just down the slope towards the lochain too.

BUT please return for all your bivi kit.

Personally I don't think there is any advantage in bivi-ing the night before, you'll sleep worse, walk in heavier and arguably not eat so well. Plus there's toileting issues.

Better to leave early, walk in slowly, aquire water en route, bag drop in a similar place for first summit, you can briefly bag drop for Dubh Mor and Alasdair too. 

If you want an advantage, drop fluids and snacks at An Dorus the day before and recce just after there for an hour or so out and back over Mhadaidh.

DaveHK 06 May 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Personally I don't think there is any advantage in bivi-ing the night before, 

There is if the speed of the party is going to be an issue.

ExiledScot 06 May 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> There is if the speed of the party is going to be an issue.

I would argue if fitness is an issue then carrying bivi kit and extra food in the night before, plus poor sleep seems to balance things out, potentially worse. If a person isn't that fit, how much would they recover from the 900m ish walk in at say 4pm, before 4am? It is of course doing what works for you, experienced bivi'ers, light kit, good camp admin, know they can sleep etc.. can make it work. 

DaveHK 06 May 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

I'm thinking more about speed over scrambling terrain rather than speed due to fitness. A bivvy somewhere early on in the ridge means you can ditch bivvy kit and enjoy the technical sections more. I think it would be a lot more fun than a classic 2 day strategy, carrying bivvy kit the whole way.

ExiledScot 06 May 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> I'm thinking more about speed over scrambling terrain rather than speed due to fitness. A bivvy somewhere early on in the ridge means you can ditch bivvy kit and enjoy the technical sections more. I think it would be a lot more fun than a classic 2 day strategy, carrying bivvy kit the whole way.

I'm more of the thinking of learn the ridge, then do it in one push, no bivi, even those less hill fit can do it, a stash at An Dorus helps. That way you never have the weight of overnight kit at any point and with loads of daylight people can pace themselves. But, it's whatever people prefer, what works for some others will dislike etc  

DaveHK 06 May 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

Yes, there are all sorts of strategies and options depending on motivation, abilities and practicalities.

Brass Nipples 06 May 2024

When we did the ridge traverse in one we walked up from the campsite, setting off before first light. People bivvying near start were still asleep in bags as we passed.

atrendall 06 May 2024

Good plan which should work well. Catch Misty Isle boat in from Elgol for a much shorter walk in and avoiding the horrible scree ascent of Gars-bheinn from Glen Brittle. Fill up with water on way up, or cook dinner there then head up to summit. Best bivis are a bit along from summit towards Sgurr Choir a Bhig. Get a good night sleep, leave vivi gear and enjoy a lightweight traverse. Personally think this is an excellent way, the only real disadvantage being having to retrieve gear later. Enjoy. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...