UKC

El Chorro - other destinations Sep/October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pablo_M 11 Aug 2019

Hey guys!

Just wondering any experiences at El Chorro in those dates (late september / early october)?

Ok to climb then or still too hot?

If so, any other suggestions for those dates?

Looking for a partner as well, so open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Emilio Bachini 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Pablo_M:

Rent a car, go to Desplo, climb in the shade, swim in the lakes. Perfect. 

OP Pablo_M 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Emilio Bachini:

Sounds pretty good.. Thanks Emilio.

Question though.. I'm reading that Desplomilandia is mostly hard stuff. I am more on the beginner side, climbing around 6b. Are the easy routes good there?

dsauerbrun 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Pablo_M:

most of el chorro climbing is in the sun so I personally wouldn't do it, but maybe you wont care as much?

For easier climbing, you could try checking out Abella de la conca which has a refugio so it might be easier to find partners... should be better weather as its at higher elevation than el chorro.

Renting a car in spain is dirt cheap(like 3-5euro/day) so I wouldn't let that hold you back.

PS: shameless plug for my site www.climbcation.com which will help you suss out your options. You can put in the hardest grade for you and it'll filter down world class destinations. Move the map around to filter by location as well!

Emilio Bachini 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Pablo_M:

If you are climbing around 6b there’s plenty for you to go at there.

Buy the new Rockfax guidebook if you haven’t already, make yourself a nice drink and have a good flick through.

It is possible to climb year round in El Chorro as long as you are prepared for some early starts, long siestas and late nights, maybe even some night climbing.

Some crags get shade in the late afternoon/early evening, which make for pleasant temperatures. There’s not likely to be many people around, which can be awesome if you’ve got someone to climb with, maybe frustrating if you haven’t. 

OP Pablo_M 12 Aug 2019
In reply to dsauerbrun:

Cheers for the recommendations. will have a look at your web anyway!

OP Pablo_M 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Emilio Bachini:

Thanks Emilio. Yeah, was thinking that could be the modus operandi.. up early, climb until its unbearable, chill in the shadows and go back for a second session at the end of the day. Bought my tickets anyway, so will have a go!

glilje 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Pablo_M:

Hi pablo, I've got a week free at the start of Oct (5th-13th) if that lines up with you I'm also looking for a climbing partner! Climbing around 6c tops currently, happy to go anywhere in Europe. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...