UKC

Font without a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLDyer 19 Sep 2023

Looking to go early next year and neither me or my partner drive so driving or renting is a no go. Is it realistic to get to crags using public transport buses/taxis or walking to crags? Particularly interested in going to the franchard area so if anyone has any knowledge i'd love to hear it. Thanks

Post edited at 21:31
In reply to JLDyer

I've had two different cars break down in font and been out of action for several days while being fixed. I've found getting around by bike to be fairly easy. Cycling with a pad on the back is fine. Two is fine as long as it isn't too windy. I guess you are a bit more limited to the closer venues but there is so much to go at I didn't find it too limiting. It was a bit of a pain moving the bike around the forest with me but doable if you've plenty of time.

Jimmy D 20 Sep 2023
In reply to JLDyer:

I don't drive and have had a few good trips to Font:

- Staying in Paris and getting the train to Bois le Roi and waking to Rocher Canon, or to Fontainebleau and walking to Mont Ussy

- Staying in Fontainebleau and cycling to Franchard, Apremont, Canche, St Germain, 95.2

- Staying near Camping La Musardiere and cycling to loads of areas in Trois Pignons

Buses are pretty rare and probably not much use, taxis would of course get you anywhere.

If it was going to be walking only, Trois Pignons might be your best bet 

Doug 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Jimmy D:

I used to live in Paris & rarely went to Bleau by car, nearly always by train, with or without a bike. There are some sites such as Rocher Canon close to a railway station, others can be a hour or more walking. And don't forget that as well as the line that passes Bois le Rois & Fontainebleau (also Nemours), there is the RER ligne D that passes to the west of the forest which is good for Chamarande & Buthiers but also (with a longer walk) les Trois Pignons.

In reply to JLDyer:

Barbizon is another option without a car -- you have the Apremont areas and Bas Cuvier in walking distance. There's a bus from Fontainebleau-Avon train station to Barbizon which runs regularly, and you can rent bikes there too. 

In reply to JLDyer:

Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet so I will; getting to the crags is viable as said above but getting to the shops could be a huge ballache if you stay at e.g.  musardiere. Basing near Barbizon, or some other place with some amenities, is a good shout for that reason. Just something to bear in mind.

Glug 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

The walk to Milly isn't that far if you go cross country at the back of the campsite. 

In reply to Glug:

For the sake of objectivity, it's about 4km each way. I guess how much fun that is depends on how many days' shopping you're carrying...

BoulderBus 21 Sep 2023

Yeah, it's about a 45 minute walk

Alex Riley 21 Sep 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

There are usually climbers going from the campsite to the shop most days, I've found it easy to get/give lifts in the past. You can also borrow bikes from the campsite.

tjekel 21 Sep 2023
In reply to JLDyer:

Staying in Arbonne le Foret gives you reasonable walking access to much of Eastern Trois Pignons, Franchard as well as a reasonably frequent bus line to Melun and Barbizon for both shopping and climbing at Apremont.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...