UKC

GHIC - The new EHIC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 11 Jan 2021

This looks relatively promising, EHIC is being replaced by GHIC which offers the same level of cover.  EHICs remain valid until their expiry date, you can apply for a GHIC a couple of weeks before you need it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55624240

beh 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Sam W:

> offers the same level of cover

Not quite, "They do not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland." (from http://www.nhs.uk/GHIC)

aostaman 12 Jan 2021
In reply to beh:

> Not quite, "They do not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland." (from http://www.nhs.uk/GHIC)

I don't think you've got that quite right. See below from the site.

If you're ordinarily resident in the UK and not insured by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you're likely to be considered insured by the UK and will be entitled to a GHIC.

and also

You are not entitled to a GHIC if you're insured by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland but live in the UK. 

If you are a UK citizen, you are entitled to cover in these countries. If you are insured in those countries (as you would be if you work or perhaps reside there), then the UK GHIC does not provide cover.

beh 12 Jan 2021
In reply to aostaman:

Keep scrolling, it seems to be reasonably clear under the heading "what the GHIC does not cover".  Being "resident" in the UK isn't the same as being a UK citizen.

As someone who enjoys skiing in Norway and Switzerland it's something I've been following closely and I've not seen anything to suggest we've made agreements with them (yet).

To be clear, I was actually pleasantly surprised to see the new GHIC announced, but to suggest it's equal to the old EHIC isn't correct.

HardenClimber 12 Jan 2021
In reply to aostaman:

GHIC and EHIC are now much more limited (and the double think of replacing the word European with Global, whist reducing the cover is what we have come to expect)

On the nhs web site:

The weasel words are new UK Issued EHIC

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-glob...

Under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, a new UK-issued EHIC also covers you for necessary healthcare from state services in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

GHICs and old UK EHICs do not work in these 4 countries.

You can apply for a new UK EHIC if you're:

an EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic or Liechtenstein citizen, and you've been living in the UK since before 1 January 2021

a UK State Pensioner or receiving some other exportable benefits, and you have a registered S1 form or E121

a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another) and you've been one since before 1 January 2021, for as long as you continue to be a frontier worker in the host state, and you’re eligible for an S1 form or E106

a worker posted to work in another EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland by your UK employer, and you've been there since before 1 January 2021, where the country has agreed to let the posting continue

an eligible family member or dependant of one of the above

a UK student studying in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, and you've been there since before 1 January 2021

aostaman 12 Jan 2021
In reply to HardenClimber:

See below an abstract and a link. It might appear to some that we are on a Brexit v Remainer tussle. Please be assured I'm not. Also it's never an issue for me as I'm always climbing/skiing so I have to buy mountain/rescue cover anyway. 

I just hope it gets us all to understand just what the new hic actually does cover. 

------------‐-‐----------

Abstract:

What EHIC covers

Unless you are a UK student studying outside the UK, the new UK EHIC will cover you for all medically necessary, state-provided healthcare when visiting another EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein.

This does not include the country you live in or the UK.

https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/cra/start

HardenClimber 12 Jan 2021
In reply to aostaman:

Remainer Interpretation:

There are two new documents: The new-issue-UK-EHIC (which is different from the EHIC) which is only available to a tightly defined groups of people and gives similar rights to the EHIC.  The GHIC which gives rights like the old EHIC but in fewer countries. Most of us have lost reciprocal rights in in some countries.  It depends how important those countries are to you.

Brexiter Interpretation:

We've got something called a Global Card. Isn't that marvellous. If we shout loudly enough people (including ourselves) won't notice the service has been reduced. Aren't our leaders clever choosing such ambiguous names.

I suspect the long term impact is that insurance costs will rise as companies will have to pay bigger bills.

beh 12 Jan 2021
In reply to aostaman:

Sorry, but as HardenClimber suggests you seem not to realise that the "new UK EHIC" which you speak of isn't available to UK citizens, we have to make do with a GHIC which rather confusingly currently only works in the EU (excluding EFTA).

Having a quick look at the insurance I normally use everything is still counted as being Europe, "For the purposes of insurance, distinction is based on geography and not political union.", so no apparent difference in costs yet although I would probably want to spend more time checking the small print.

steve taylor 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Sam W:

Global???? FFS - it doesn't even cover all of Europe, never mind anywhere else in the world.

Who's letting them get away with calling it "Global"?

k_os 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Sam W:

Has anyone successfully managed to apply for one? I keep getting timeout messages and errors

beh 13 Jan 2021
In reply to steve taylor:

I think we're limiting ourselves with "Global", should be looking beyond Earth, need to be ready for when Elon colonises Mars.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...