UKC

How much it costs to drive to the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomshooter 08 Nov 2018

If you're planning a trip to the Alps this winter, I've laid out the costs on my blog here: http://tomshooter.co.uk/blog/drive-to-france-a-trip-to-the-alps-costs/

If you have any other top tips on how to keep the costs down, please comment below and I'll add them on as a resource.

MG 08 Nov 2018
In reply to tomshooter:

No direct effect on cost but getting motorway tag makes things smoother.

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

If you have time, going via Luxembourg (cheap petrol) and Germany avoids French tolls.

Consider stopping enroute rather than Calais - there are plenty of pleasant towns to explore.

If you plan to use the Mont Blanc tunnel, consider a 10 trip ticket.  You save money after only 3-4 trips, and it can be shared between people.

Swiss petrol is cheap too, and beer(in supermarkets) and apricots.  Everything else is extortionate.

Post edited at 10:25
 mchardski 08 Nov 2018
In reply to MG:

The Luxembourg route is a good one especially if you are in a van, can take 1 extra sleep, and like to keep the speed below 65mph for fuel efficiency cos then it doesnt really matter if you are on a good A road, dual carriageway or motorway. Coming from Cham, between Geneva and Bescancon I went straight over the Jura which was a slow but north from Bescancon its good A roads and dual carriageway so much faster.  One could opt  to take Peage around and up to Bescancon

If you have a van with a roofrack watch out for Peages charging you too much.  Basically if the ticket comes out of the top slot then it is trying to charge you too much, press the button low down and get a cheaper ticket. I think this is legit but dont sue me if I,m wrong. 

steve taylor 08 Nov 2018
In reply to tomshooter:

Fuel in France is no longer cheaper than the UK - you'll pay about 1.50 - 1.60 euros a litre for diesel on the autoroute, which is about GBP1.30-1.40 on today's exchange rate, so on a par really.

The French are not happy, so things might change after their fuel blockades on 17th November...

I'd agree about getting a toll transceiver too - ideal for RHD vehicles in France.

Darron 08 Nov 2018
In reply to tomshooter:

Re staying in Dover. It’s free and convenient to park overnight on the promenade if you have a van you can sleep in.

You might want to add legal requirements for the car/van to the list. Hi viz jacket, triangle, beam deflectors etc.

Toerag 08 Nov 2018
In reply to tomshooter:

I use viamichelin.com, it's got customisable fuel economy settings and tells you the tolls applicable.

Phil1919 08 Nov 2018
In reply to tomshooter:

....the earth?

mrphilipoldham 08 Nov 2018
In reply to Darron:

A lot of modern cars will now be able to switch headlight beam to 'left hand drive' mode. Mine's a simple lever at the back of the headlight unit, just changed it whilst on the ferry the last time I was on the continent.

heleno 08 Nov 2018
In reply to tomshooter:

There's a route which is much cheaper on tolls.  You travel on toll-free motorways via Belgium and Luxembourg to Belfort, France, then on good N-roads to join the A16 at the Swiss border.   A CHF40 vignette covers the whole of the Swiss motorway system, giving you access to the Swiss alps, or via Martigny to Chamonix.

The savings are even greater if you're in a camper van, as the  vignette is the same price as for cars, whereas autoroute tolls are considerably higher.  It also covers multiple trips in the same calendar year.

Filling up with fuel in Luxembourg gives further savings!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...