UKC

Italy - Lake Garda

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris_r 24 May 2018

I'm off to Lake Garda in a fortnight, and I'm looking for recommendations of places where I can squeeze in a bit of bouldering (as I can't take my rope & draws).  Passo San Giovanni looks like it might fit the bill. Anyone been there and have any advice?  I wont have my pad, so hopefully venues without horrendous landings, or some problems that aren't too highball.

I'll have my young kids with me. Again, does anyone know if Passo San Giovanni is family friendly (like Font).

Passo San Giovanni

Thanks in advance,

Chris

AlanLittle 24 May 2018
In reply to chris_r:

There's a bouldering guide - cheap pamphlet style - available in the climbing shops in Arco

Passo San Giovani is quite a pleasant spot with ok landing etc, although definitely not as nice as Font. The area directly opposite the campsite in Arco has some ok bouldering too,

There's some further up the road under the Placce Zebrate too, but definitely don't take the kids there - the woods are full of human, erm, detritus from people camping in the laybys. (This was a few years ago, I hope the police are coming down far harder on the filthy bastards these days)

Post edited at 10:10
 Andy Say 24 May 2018
In reply to chris_r:

There's bouldering at the Massi di Prabi, quite near the ice-cream parlour by the bridge and directly under Cima Colodri.  Massi di Gaggiolo (  Massi di Gaggiolo#maps ) is more routes than bouldering but there is easy stuff and its really kiddy-friendly.  There's even a kids adventure park right across the road.

Andy

OP chris_r 25 May 2018
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thanks Alan, I'd looked for a bouldering guide book, great to know there is one. 

Chris

OP chris_r 25 May 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

Bouldering and ice cream? A perfect combination to keep both me, and the kids happy. I'll check it out, thanks.

Rampikino 25 May 2018
In reply to chris_r:

We had a boulder at San Giovanni last year (with kids).  It's a nice short walk in and a few routes - they have a board up with the routes listed.  Nice mix and fairly friendly though not as good as Font.  Worth an hour or two.

Paz 25 May 2018

The slabby crag right above the lake looks so cool - definitely take a harness and see if you can meet up with some locals. There were a smattering of highballs on the approach to one of the crags above Arco.  If you've got a short length of old rope I'd pack that and your harness to do the easy via ferrata above the town.  I never found any of the sport crags were remotely family friendly but my info is 17 years old, and others here are saying otherwise.

Andy Say 26 May 2018
In reply to Paz:

> The slabby crag right above the lake looks so cool -

Looks good - polished to f*ck

>There were a smattering of highballs on the approach to one of the crags above Arco. 

Possibly Nago?  The lower sector there and the surrounding Massi de Traole are pretty kiddy friendly; flat ground, shade etc  - #maps

>  If you've got a short length of old rope I'd pack that and your harness to do the easy via ferrata above the town. 

Nearly all the gear shops hire VF kit if you fancy it.  Depending on the age of your kids they might fancy it as well!

Andy Say 27 May 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

One last thought, if you have transport, would be Val Daone. One of the premier bouldering spots in the area: but probably 60/90 minutes drive from Arco. Completely different environment; alpine, cool and granite! There is a comprehensive guide available by Versante Sud that the Arco shops sell.

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...