UKC

Kalymnos in February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Pryor 01 Nov 2017
What's the weather like in Feb? I have been in May and late October this year and found it too hot for climbing in the sun. Would love to spend more time on those South-facing crags.

Also what sort of accommodation do you need to book on the Piraeus-Kal ferry if you want to get a bit ok sleep?
OP Alex Pryor 10 Nov 2017
Bump
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex Pryor:

A few thoughts from when we stayed there in 2010:

http://chriscraggs.blogspot.gr/2010/02/notes-from-very-small-island.html

Never done the ferry - there are 2-3 flights a day Athens to Kos, and flights three times a week Athens to Kalymnos which has always worked for us,

Chris
 AlanLittle 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex Pryor:

8a.nu has a histogram of logged ascents per month, which should at least give you some idea of what's a viable time of year. Looks like the normal spring season doesn't really kick off until April

I'm currently pondering whether to go before or after Easter. More likely after though.
 AJM 11 Nov 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

A part of that, I suspect, is the audience (and the flights, which do play a part!). It's entirely possible, I imagine, to climb grey slabs all winter long, whereas I believe the tufas can be wet in the spring. Your typical 8a.nu member is more likely to be cruising tufa 7s than grey slab 5s (they could of course do grey slab 7s, but why go to Kalymnos for that?) and so the logs skew accordingly.
 AlanLittle 11 Nov 2017
In reply to AJM:

Good point & I forgot to put the link in.

https://www.8a.nu/crags/Crag.aspx?CragId=2452

... in which the other histogram does indeed show that the average Kalymnos visiting 8a.nu user is climbing in the low 7's
 sopaz 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex Pryor:

Cant help on the weather, but we flew in on the last flight of the season in October and left on the ferry from Kalymnos to Athens. It leaves around 11pm and I slept all the way through (even though the sea was a bit rough!) arriving into Athens about 10am?

We had an inboard 2 berth cabin which was great - Bunk beds with an ensuite. The airline style seating was pretty plush so you might get some sleep, but would recommend the cabin. Cost about 150 euro for two?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...