UKC

Maurienne - Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 04 May 2023

Planning a trip to the Maurienne in summer for VF, climbing and hiking.

Thinking of staying in Termignon, Lanslebourg or Modane.

Is it best to have a car whilst we're there, or are all of the outdoor activities accessible by bus/public transport?

Bob Aitken 04 May 2023
In reply to Alpenglow:

It's a bit chicken-and-egg, you probably need to decide what activities you want to pursue and where before you can assess whether you feel you can manage them by bus with reasonable convenience.  There's a regular service up the valley from Modane to Bonneval (roughly every couple of hours IIRC) with a shuttle midi-bus from Termignon up to the southern edge of the National Park.  But the summer timetables don't seem to be online yet.  The Vanoise Park has published helpful sustainable-transport guides in years past, but again they don't seem to be available yet: http://www.vanoise-parcnational.fr/fr (they used to do an English version of the website but not this year yet ... perhaps another Brexit effect?) 

https://shop.thebmc.co.uk/product/mountain-adventures-in-the-maurienne/ gives a lot of useful background info, though it's 12 years old now so may not be quite up to date with public transport.

Personally I'd go further up the valley for a base than Modane, it's a fairly busy industrial/commercial town low in the valley bottom.  Termignon's not much more than a village with a picturesque old centre but limited facilities; Lanslebourg is a street town along the valley road, bigger but pleasant.

But the Maurienne's superb mid-alpine country with masses of scope for walking and easy climbing.

Doug 05 May 2023
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Can't really add much about public transport, but would agree with Bob's comments about Modane - I thought it was a pretty ugly small town and personally would stay further up the valley. The last time I was there we stayed in Bonneval (the highest village), its small but has everything we needed, but we had a car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...