UKC

Portland area for kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 daveyw 17 Apr 2021

Hi,

a mate is down there this weekend with his wife and two kiddies (5 and 2). Can anyone suggest any good family walks that go near climbing crags so he can scan out future climbing trips? 

Cheers

Mick Ward 17 Apr 2021
In reply to daveyw:

Portland Museum (bottom of Wakeham, the wide road going south from Easton), down to the belvedere overlooking Church Ope Cove (signposted). As you face out to sea, turn left and go slightly upwards. Following the obvious path, and contouring northwards, roughly in line with the coast, you'll see a little crag to the left of the obvious path that you're on. Carry on past this (the New Cuttings). You'll come out at the intersection with another path coming down, diagonally from your left. Ahead of you is a large crag. This is The Cuttings. Carry along for about a mile (obvious path) (not sure how far kiddies can walk!) - or not. Maybe better to come back the way you've come.

Having a good day at the Cuttings requires care (many polished horrors lie in wait for the unwary). But at least access is readily possible for all the family.

Mick

OP daveyw 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks Mick.

My friend read your reply and he's off to there today.

Cheers

fatbuoybazza 21 Apr 2021
In reply to daveyw:

Cheers davey..

fatbuoybazza 21 Apr 2021
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks for that Mick, very much appreciated indeed. We went down past The Cuttings via Rufus Castle then took the steep-ish path down to the boulder fields after The Cuttings, the youngest told me "this is too easy".. We then pretty much just did a loop through to Church Ope Cove, down the dodgy way and back up the stairs.. The five year old(now 4 Dave!) done all of this under her own steam and the Boy came out unscathed..

Mick Ward 21 Apr 2021
In reply to fatbuoybazza:

Hi, am so glad you enjoyed it. That's one of my favourite walks; in fact, Church Ope Cove is one of my favourite places. (Supposedly the Vikings' first landing in Britain was there.) I should have suggested this as a walk, don't know why I didn't, was probably thinking more about the crag. But you found it for yourselves, which is even better.

"This is too easy..." Love it! Oh to have the confidence of youth once again.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...