UKC

Rain-Proof Yorkshire Bouldering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianstevens 10 Dec 2020

Is there such a thing? Weather looks guff again this weekend and I’ve not lived here long enough to know if there are any dirty weather-proof caves about. I know of the Peak spots, but wanted somewhere more local if possible.

plyometrics 10 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Back of The Calf at Ilkley if you fancy some dedicated eliminate action, wind / rain direction dependent. 

Wasted many an unhappy hour there! 

Ian W 10 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Rain proof? Why do you think there are so many successful indoor venues across sheffield and leeds?

OP ianstevens 10 Dec 2020
In reply to Ian W:

Can’t hurt to ask! I also mean proper Yorkshire

Ian W 10 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

you mean the north bit then.......

Hmmm. No expert, but i dont really think there are any rainproof bits. Most of the moors enjoys nice views (read exposed........) and i dont think brimham or caley are particularly rain friendly.

Good hunting anyway.....

OP ianstevens 10 Dec 2020
In reply to Ian W:

This was a bit of a last ditch attempt to be honest as my guidebook selection is somewhat patchy for round here. I did expect the main answer to be “go to the wall”!

Yanis Nayu 10 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

I read that as rain proof Yorkshire pudding😂

Red Rover 10 Dec 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I did as well!

Bob Kemp 10 Dec 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

That's more or less how they turned out the last time I made them. Like neoprene, you could have used them as a waterproof hat. 

Offwidth 10 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Woodhouse Scar under the overhangs is excellent unless its raining on a strong SW wind. An excellent winter venue all round as its fairly low altitude despite being a scarp edge, and catches the sun and the wind. Even the green rock tends to be high friction. I've bouldered there often in December through February. Great from F1 to F7s

mrphilipoldham 11 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Greetland. I popped in the other day and there was some seepage starting to come down the main walls but not yet having any impact on the traverses at least. It's not been that wet since so I can't envisage it having gotten any worse. I'm going to nip in again for an hour tomorrow.

Baildon can be ok too, some steeper bits that tend to be dry. 

As someone else has said, under the bigger roofs at Woodhouse are probably ok until the lips!

arran_deakin 11 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

The left hand side of Kilnsey, though it's probably seeping by now. 

Offwidth 11 Dec 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I don't quite get your loyal attraction to Greetland (aka West Vale). It is quicky drying away from the left side and the big weep but isn't dry in the rain (S facing vertical wall) and the ground conditions are often manky. It does give excellent traverse fun for upper end F6 climbers, but what about the rest of us?  If Greetland is dry I think there are better venues in the area and much better further away in Yorkshire.

OP ianstevens 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I mean they need to be able to hold gravy

OP ianstevens 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

Cheers all. Greetland is probably a little low on the grade spectrum for me to really enjoy, was hoping for stuff in the low-mid 7s. Cave stuff at Woodhouse looks like it'll work.

spidermonkey09 11 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Apart from the rock will be wet over the lip so you wont be able to finish anything?

dunnyg 11 Dec 2020
In reply to spidermonkey09:

The angel face stufd tends to have somethit climbable in the mid 7s most of the time.

mrphilipoldham 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I live 10 minutes away, the main will is dry in the rain (certainly has been of late, literally whilst raining with no leaf cover) and the ground conditions are fine. 

Admittedly I am currently a little over enamoured as I've only lived nearby for a few months and it's nice to have. You're right in that there will be dry places further away in Yorkshire but a) we shouldn't be travelling much at the moment and b) certainly since I've been here I've come away from some of those further away places disappointed and nipped in on the off chance to find it bone dry and deserted. 

Woodhouse on the other hand has been gopping all week, aside from under the big roofs. Mytholm Steeps roof has also been dry but what's the point if you can't finish the problems?

Post edited at 17:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...