UKC

Rally Escalada 12h El Chorro, what is it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 04 Feb 2020

Hi,
I have come across the https://www.rallyelchorro.com/ , but what is it. I assume its a climbing thing that goes on for 12 Hours in El Chorro, but other than that I cannot fathom it. I have tried google translate and that has not told me much.

I am probably being dopey, but can anyone explain please.

Cheers Steve

SamR 04 Feb 2020
In reply to J1234:

Annual event/competition in El Chorro.

They give out a topo beforehand with all of the routes for that year (all multipitch) and how many points each route is worth.  Yout have 12 hours to tick as many as you can and get back to the start. 

The harder the route, the more points it's worth. Also bonus points are available for e.g., ticking a route in each crag (involves a lot of running). The winner is the team with the most points.

SamR 04 Feb 2020
In reply to J1234:

In the topos for this year are already there on the "croquis" tab

J1234 04 Feb 2020
In reply to SamR:

That's great thanks.
I noticed last week at the OB in the camp kitchen a list of times for routes, one of which was Amptrax in about 25 minutes =:-0. Maybe a similar thing.

Martin Haworth 04 Feb 2020
In reply to SamR:

Can anyone enter? I am in El Chorro that week, I'm sure it would be good fun to embarrass myself.

Climber_Bill 04 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin Haworth:

>  I'm sure it would be good fun to embarrass myself.

There is a similar rally in Riglos as well if you get into it. The difference is that points are awarded for easy but run out routes as well. Some of the old school 6's are worth more points that the modern well bolted (for Riglos) harder routes. Perfect for hardcore trad types.

Martin Haworth 04 Feb 2020
In reply to J1234:

Do any Spanish speakers know if this is an elite competition or a "sportive" for punters as well?

SamR 04 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin Haworth:

Pretty sure anybody can enter. I had some friends do it last year that weren't elite. Afterwards there's a big dinner / piss up. If you're thinking of trying to place high up, you obviously need to be pretty effin good.

Looking at the website there's currently only 4 teams signed up (participantes tab). You can sign up via the incripciones tab.

There are some basic rules too, mainly: no simul climbing, no simul rappelling, you have to wear a helmet and you have to use two ropes. 

Post edited at 23:22
 Martin Haworth 05 Feb 2020
In reply to SamR:Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...