UKC

Recommend me a Peak District crag for tomorrow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeLell 16 Nov 2012
I'm supposed to be climbing in the Peak District tomorrow and having never climbed there before, thought I'd ask the UKC collective for advice on good destinations.

~ Ideally quick drying and gets (relatively) good weather. I've heard that the Eastern side is more often dry due to rain shadow effect.
~ A largish crag which will give big choice of routes.
~ Plenty of stuff in the lower grades (S to VS).
~ Interested to hear about Limestone or Gritstone crags, although Grit preferred as I've climbed a lot of Wye Valley Limestone already this year.
~ Coming up from Gloucestershire and then picking up partner in Birmingham, so nothing too far north unless you think it's really worth the extra mileage.
~ Links to crag logbook entries if possible.

Cheers in advance,

Mike
 seankenny 16 Nov 2012
In reply to MikeLell:

Go to Stanage or Froggat. Or perhaps the Roaches. Check the weather forecast first.

Pick routes with two or three stars.

If it's rainy or cold, go somewhere lower or more sheltered.

Easy!
 woodsy 16 Nov 2012
In reply to MikeLell:
have a late start (rain forecast up to 11am)
if its mild & not too windy (as forecast suggests)you should have a great day atany of the below
Stanage, Burbage N, Birchens, Froggatt, Bamford
OP MikeLell 16 Nov 2012
In reply to MikeLell: Cheers for the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming. I'm off to buy a guidebook this afternoon.
 ripper 16 Nov 2012
In reply to MikeLell: Every local I've ever spoken to says Birchen dries first after rain, and it's usually more sheltered from the wind than most too. If it's dry and not too windy though I'd suggest the climbing at Stanage, Burbage and Froggat is better. Millstone is really good to, quarried grit and therefore much less weathered (for which read rounded) and much taller, but there's not a great deal in the lower grades.
Dahinchl 16 Nov 2012
In reply to MikeLell: Lawencefield
OP MikeLell 16 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper: I'm leaning towards Birchen Edge at the moment due the quick dryingness and Froggat doesn't look too much further up the valley if weather turns out to be better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...