UKC

Roaches and grit conditions next few days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kafoozalem 03 Apr 2013
Down in sunny Devon we've heard a rumour that you chaps have had a little snow up't north. I was wondering if the Roaches including Skyline are suffering from seepage? Is there melting snow here? I gather things get worse heading to Eastern Grit. Are the usual suspects - Stanage, Millstone, Froggat, Curbar etc in poor condition?
OP Kafoozalem 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Having researched further I can see this looks like a troll. Sorry wasn't meant to be.

OK Eastern Grit is buried but what problems will be experienced at the Roaches? Is it under snow? Will snow melt put many routes out of condition?

In reply to Kafoozalem:

OK - the other thread seems to give the Roaches and Hen Cloud the ok so I think we'll head that way.
 thomaspomfrett 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem: The Peregrines have nested at the Roaches (sloth area I think) so there is a bird ban in force on a section of the crag. Still plenty to go at mind provided the conditions are OK (not been up there myself recently but planning a trip and just saw the bird ban)
In reply to thomaspomfrett:

Thanks for that - Damascus Crack to Easy Gully are banned. Still plenty to go at.
 JR 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:

This is Stanage currently, but plenty of snow-balling to do (or skiing)

http://jr-climbing.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/wall-end-slab-on-skis.html
 Reach>Talent 05 Apr 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR):
That is a great photo. How much of the Eastern end of the Peak is in that sort of condition? I'm heading to Hathersage this weekend and was hoping to find some dry rock, will I need to pack a shovel and probe to get to Burbage or the Plantation?
 ciaran1999 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Roaches is dry as a bone and lovely in the spring sun, do bear in mind the restrictions mentioned above!
 Coel Hellier 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Roaches area: Dry, crisp, snow not a problem, great for climbing. Except for wind chill that is, it's not exactly warm; and there's birdies around the upper tier. This webcam is nearby http://www.flashbarstores.co.uk/
 Ramblin dave 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Haven't been and looked, but the forecast is above zero so presumably at least some of the stuff on the eastern edges is going to be melting? On the other hand, I guess there's a big difference between melting and melted...
 mark20 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:
There are quite alot of dry routes at Stanage Popular now.
I'm guessing Curbar and Froggatt are pretty dry.
Also, I've built some snow platforms under Gullible's Travels, Rudolf Cheerleader, Desperation, Old Dragon, Plastic Dream, Pedlar's Slab & Trimming the Beard, all no more than V3, and with a pad or two on top they are all safe enough to fall off. Get there before it melts!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...