UKC

San Bartolo Spain--rope length

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charlesvernon 11 Jun 2024

Hi all,

We'll be staying near Tarifa for 3 weeks from late June through mid-July. This is a family trip and climbing is secondary but we will probably climb at San Bartolo 1-2 times a week for casual family-style half days followed by jumping in the ocean. 

My question: we're trying to pack as light as possible and I'm wondering if we can get away with a 40- or 32-meter rope and still be able to do a decent selection of the climbs. We'll be climbing from easy maybe up to 6c at the hardest. 

Thanks!

Charles

tjekel 12 Jun 2024
In reply to charlesvernon:

I'd think 50m should be finde for close to everything sport. Don't even know where to obtain 32m of rope ...

heleno 12 Jun 2024

Routes in the area vary greatly in length, and the Roca Espana guide recommends a 70m rope.

Apologies if this is insultingly obvious (I can't tell how experienced you are from your profile) but whatever rope length you use, please ensure there is a knot at the 'dead' end of your rope.

Thank you both.

I had to cut a rope in half at one point due to a core shot, hence the 40- and 32-meter ropes. I actually use them fairly often for rope soloing. Trying to pack light because of tighter baggage restrictions on our intercontinental travel and because this isn't mainly a climbing trip. From thecrag.com, it looks like a lot of the routes at San Bartolo are short, but I'm not sure how accurate that info is. 

Definitely I always close the system! I'm a bit paranoid about it actually, I'll tie a knot even if it's a 30-foot pitch with a 70-meter rope. I also added a little info to my profile for future reference. 

Charles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...