UKC

scramble access to Bosherton head?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 14 Aug 2020

I'm trying to work out if you can access the keelhaul wall by walking rather than abbing in. Rockfax suggests you can but I wondered if anyone had actually done this and if it was a bit horrid? I note there has been rock fall around DEEsire in recent years that may cause problems?

In reply to ebdon:

Thought this was another ‘Aonach Eagach is the Best’ thread.

Disappointed now...

PS sorry can’t help with actual question

Jon Stewart 14 Aug 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Done it a couple of times - only slightly dodgy if IIRC, nothing memorable. just have to follow your nose sensibly. Don't know about the rockfall tho, sorry! 

OP ebdon 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Cheers, I might have an explore, I would just ab but everything down there is a bit hard for my partner. I probably should just go somewhere nice instead but I'm a selfish git.

Jon Stewart 14 Aug 2020
In reply to ebdon:

On one of my first trips to Pembroke I went down there and loved that wall, while everyone else said "what, that minging slab made of Lethal Grey!?". After going in not such good conditions I now understand exactly what they were on about.

Still think the atmosphere is mega tho, with the big issue wall scaring the crap out of you just by looming over, and the sea always seems a bit lively/menacing there. Great place to take a sea cliff noob! 

Sam W 14 Aug 2020
In reply to ebdon:

I think you should ab in and if your partner can't climb out they can swim out.  This will be both character building and a good stress test for your relationship.

OP ebdon 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Sam W:

Thanks for the sound advice Sam, I'll be sure to tell her you reccomend that as she Bob's out to sea!

Mowglee 14 Aug 2020
In reply to ebdon:

I've tried to find it but gave up and abbed in instead as the way I found looked a bit dodgy. If there is a scramble out, it might not be much less hard/scary than seconding Keelhaul with a snug rope.

Rick Sewards 14 Aug 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Hi

I've certainly done it in the past (we're talking 20 years ago!) and I don't remember anything problematic about it (but that doesn't say much - I used to be reasonably confident about such things so I only remember the horror shows!).  However, I'm fairly sure that the approach (the bit under Ghost Ship at least) is more tidal than the start of the routes around Keelhaul, so you'll need to bear that in mind if there isn't an ab rope in situ.

Rick

Post edited at 22:34
 PaulTanton 15 Aug 2020
In reply to ebdon:

I think it’s fine, but not been down there for a while. Keelhaul slab area?  At the west end of the slab there is a large buttress where Ghost Ship is. You need go the west side of that buttress, LHS looking at the crag. There is an easy angle slope. From the bottom of the slope scramble down right wards under the buttress till you come to the large sloping ledge at the bottom of keelhaul slab.

You’ll need a pretty low tide to get round. And if the tide is coming make sure you can get out, cos you’ll be cut off by the tide. 
the CC guide show a map of the crag with approach routes. But shouldn’t mention CC guides on a rockfax site 😀

good and enjoy

OP ebdon 15 Aug 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

Cheers all that's great info, I've got the wired select guide, whitch allthough is great can be a bit light on approach details sometimes. Allthough with this weeks weather forcast I may not get any climbing done😪

Sam W 15 Aug 2020
In reply to ebdon:

> Allthough with this weeks weather forcast I may not get any climbing done😪

There's always Preposterous Tales as a wet weather option. Nice and sheltered, don't believe your belayer has had the pleasure yet...

OP ebdon 15 Aug 2020
In reply to Sam W:

Im not sure our marriage is that strong, especially when I get scared and make Rach lead it, also I'm still traumatized from doing it with you Sam.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...