UKC

Scrambling/ hiking abroad in Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JG86 16 Aug 2020

Hi, 

I'm thinking of going abroad for some winter scrambling/ hiking. I've done a fair amount in the UK but not so much abroad. I went to La Palma in the Canary Islands a few years ago which was great. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably warm places which won't completely break the bank for September or later? 

I was considering Corsica or Madeira as a starting point. I hear Madeira isn't great for scrambling though as rock is sketchy. 

Thanks

Joe 

Tom Valentine 16 Aug 2020
In reply to JG86:

I've holidayed in Madeira and La Palma.

However "sketchy" the rock is on Madeira , it can't be as bad as La Palma. Walking up Teneguia was a novelty (literally), knowing that the rock you were climbing up was less than fifty years old

JimHolmes69 16 Aug 2020
In reply to JG86:

Mallorca. It's easy with loads of great walking and some great scrambling as well. We've tried other places and have been back here loads of times because it is so good. Much better than Maderia personally but others may think differently. 

We have been at Christmas on a number of occasions and the weather has been good. 

Hope this helps

Jim 

mik82 16 Aug 2020
In reply to JG86:

I assume you mean winter 2021-22, not the upcoming one...

Post edited at 21:09
 Mark Eddy 16 Aug 2020
In reply to JG86:

Costa Blanca, Spain. It may be better known for it's cragging and beach bars, but the scrambling is pretty amazing too. If you want any specific info get in touch 

Donotello 17 Aug 2020
In reply to mik82:

Think it’s just going to become the norm to isolate for 2 weeks after a holiday, I think people are still going to travel, just means you’re going to make your holiday more worthwhile. 

(Depends on your job of course but a lot of modern jobs can continue without physically being somewhere)

OP JG86 17 Aug 2020
In reply to JG86:

Cheers for the replies everyone. I think Spain is looking a bit risky atm. I was thinking it might be a non-quarantine destination by October but things seem to be getting worse, not better. 

Mallorca looks amazing for scrambling/ hiking. @ JimHolmes69 did you do the Cavall Bernat ridge?

@ Mark Eddy, thanks. I'll do some reading and if i have any questions message you. 

JimHolmes69 18 Aug 2020
In reply to JG86:

Yes I have done the ridge several times. If you start right by the sea you make it harder and better. You climb over rock windows and it is very exposed on the right hand side. There are scrambles onto Massenella. There is also on ridge onto Tomir on its northern side. The Parais gorge is also a must in the summer when it is dry. 
The walking is top class with lots of mountains to walk up.

Have a good time.

Jim

Lankyman 18 Aug 2020
In reply to JimHolmes69:

Yes, I'd agree with Mallorca for walking and scrambling. I got the impression though that quite a few walks were increasingly affected by access problems. I hadn't been for a few years and then took my Mum there for a week. We drove all over the island and it was a revelation how many cyclists were on the roads. This was in  an April week.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...