UKC

Sicily - mountain ridges / scrambles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ewanjp 02 Feb 2019

We're going to Sicily in March - will be checking out San Vito, but also want to do a mountain hike / scramble. Ideally a ridge.

The internet seems to be very non-forthcoming on the subject. Does anyone know any good areas? Or better still some routes? We'll have a car, so distance isn't too much of a problem.

Happy to scramble most things.

In reply to ewanjp:

Didn't see or hear of any worthwhile ridges there but I'd definitely recommend stromboli. The ferry rode is pretty and the volcano puts on quite a show. The island authorities threaten jail for anyone going up without a guide mind. We got pretty close to an eruption on etna without being bothered. 

scott titt 03 Feb 2019
In reply to ewanjp:

I have not heard of any popular ridge scrambles on Sicily.

If you are at San Vito lo Capo then the ascent of Monte Cofano is a fairly tough walk with some easy scrambling. It is a pilgrimage path, but seems hard to follow leading to some adventures. One of the northern ridges has been climbed, reportedly 8hrs at UIAA III, I have looked from below and  could only think that they avoided some difficulties, I was not tempted, a long way in the sun!

The walking near San Vito in the Zingaro National Park is very pleasant and interesting with ethnographic museums on the routes in the Park.

I have no experience further afield, but Madonie is well spoken of and not too far away.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...