UKC

Sicily Car Hire - Catania Airport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 06 Nov 2018

I need to book a hire car in Sicily for an upcoming trip. Had anyone any recommendations for companies operating out of Catania Airport?

I've seen plenty of bad reviews so thought I would see if anyone has a recommendation before choosing one...

Thanks

James

aultguish 06 Nov 2018
In reply to James Malloch:

No problems with Europcar recently, just make sure you buy insurance prior to renting, or else you'll end up paying their extortionate rates. Picking up and dropping off was straightforward, staff speak English, easy to find. They'll be my choice again when I head back there in the summer.

Driving in Sicily can be a bit mad, the secret is to be patient, relax, go with the flow and drive like a Sicilian

Dave Cundy 06 Nov 2018

We used Locauto last year.  We've also used then a couple of times in Sardinia (from Olbia) ove rthe last ten years.  Not had any problems.

Hat Dude 07 Nov 2018

Have a look at booking it through Ryanair they use the usual car hire companies and have a sale at the moment.

I've booked my last 2 cars through them £148 for a Renault Captur for 12 days in Italy and £129 for a Focus estate for a week in Corsica.

I've just had a quick look at Catania and they're offering a week for silly money

Max factor 07 Nov 2018
In reply to Hat Dude:

Beware of anyone advertising silly money - from experience they are much more likely to try to load you up with 'local taxes' or try to otherwise load up the price.  not worth the hassle IMO, just go for a mid-priced reputable operator, budget, sixt, Europcar, national etc. 

Hat Dude 07 Nov 2018
In reply to Max factor:

The offers are with the mainstream companies you mention; you just book through Ryanair

The prices I quoted were the full amount I paid

The Renault I hired was with Thrifty (actually Hertz)

The Focus with Sixt.

Both full to full & I have an annual excess policy.

I probably shouldn't tempt fate but apart from one time in Sardinia when I got a free downgrade, I've not had problems with car hire in over 20 years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...