UKC

Snowdonia campsites this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danbow73 03 Aug 2020

So I'm looking to go.climb in north Wales this weekend but all the regular turn up and pitch campsites are only taking bookings and are full! Has anyone got any ideas of other places to stay?

Droyd 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Danbow73:

We stayed at the Bryn Tyrch Farm Campsite last week, which still don't seem to feel the need to take bookings. £4 a night too. 

tjdodd 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Droyd:

As I was leaving the Ogwen Valley on Friday at around 18.30 there was a steady stream of people heading into the hills to camp.

Trangia 03 Aug 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Yes, just head up into the hills, find a quiet secluded spot and camp discretely. So long as you are sensible, away from busy paths, avoid camping too obviously, and where you might pollute streams or lakes, and remove ALL rubbish, you should be fine. Loads of high level crags in ranges like the Carneddau.  

I don't know what the restrictions are these days on high level camping in N Wales, but I used to regularly drive up in the 1980s and 90s from the South East after work on a Friday evening, arrive at about 1 or 2 am, park up and then walk up into the hills for about an hour before pitching our tent in some remote spot using that as a base for climbing on high level crags for the weekend

It's great and you can rise early and get well ahead of the crowds for popular routes.

Good luck!

willpitt07 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Danbow73:

The Bryn Tyrch Farm Campsite also has bunkrooms which are £10 a night if you are looking for something a bit more upmarket... 

In reply to Trangia:

> Yes, just head up into the hills, find a quiet secluded spot and camp discretely. So long as you are sensible, away from busy paths, avoid camping too obviously, and where you might pollute streams or lakes, and remove ALL rubbish, you should be fine. Loads of high level crags in ranges like the Carneddau.  

> I don't know what the restrictions are these days on high level camping in N Wales, but I used to regularly drive up in the 1980s and 90s from the South East after work on a Friday evening, arrive at about 1 or 2 am, park up and then walk up into the hills for about an hour before pitching our tent in some remote spot using that as a base for climbing on high level crags for the weekend

https://www.snowdonia.gov.wales/visiting/walking/where-can-you-go/wild-camp...

Most land in Snowdonia is privately owned and wild camping is not allowed unless specific permission is given, it’s trespass even on CROW land. 

Groundhog 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Danbow73:

Having just returned from the Ogwen valley I would think that any tents there yesterday (Tuesday) will now have been blown away! May be worth checking with campsites to see if any bookings have suddenly come available

Removed User 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Groundhog:

And now we have the rain to go with the wind so flooding.  Should have blown out by the weekend

Neil Williams 05 Aug 2020
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Most land in Snowdonia is privately owned and wild camping is not allowed unless specific permission is given, it’s trespass even on CROW land. 

It's tolerated, though (other than in obviously really touristy bits like Snowdon), provided you pitch late, strike early, keep it small and high up and leave no trace.  It being trespass is in some ways quite helpful.

Post edited at 10:38
 ianstevens 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

> It's tolerated, though (other than in obviously really touristy bits like Snowdon), provided you pitch late, strike early, keep it small and high up and leave no trace.  It being trespass is in some ways quite helpful.

In practice it even seems tolerated (in past years) when groups pitch up their massive tents next to the roadside at the Cromlech and leave them up all weekend, sadly. 

simoncov 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Danbow73:

Southern end (nr. Dolgellau): Cwmrhwyddfor campsite at bottom of Cader Idris had some space left this morning still.  t. 01654 761 286

https://www.walestouristsonline.co.uk/snowdonia/campsite/Cwmrhwyddfor.html

Karlos 02 Sep 2020

In case anyone looking for this weekend (5/6), I've just got in at Dolgam:

https://www.dolgam-snowdonia.co.uk/

Gwern Gof Uchaf was full when I phoned yesterday.

Ta.

Red Rover 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Karlos:

Dolgam is full now I think but I've just got a place in Dinas Farm at Tregarth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...