UKC

Spanish destination in April?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fammer 12 Feb 2020

Planning on visiting my brother for a weekend in Madrid in April, and would like to go climbing somewhere for the week before/after. Any recommendations for somewhere to go that won't be too hot? I don't mind a bit of a drive (or train/bus), and would be looking for somewhere with routes from ~6a to ~7b.

Thanks

john arran 12 Feb 2020
In reply to fammer:

I've only been once, so far from being an expert, but Cuenca is a fantastic spot within a couple of hours of Madrid; it's very extensive and has plenty of choice in terms of sunny/shade sectors. For some reason it doesn't seem to have become popular with Brits but when I was there it was clearly a crag of choice for campervans from Holland, Germany and elsewhere.

jezb1 12 Feb 2020
In reply to john arran:

> I've only been once, so far from being an expert, but Cuenca is a fantastic spot within a couple of hours of Madrid; 

Got a few days there this w/e... It looks like there's shed loads to do, any recommendations on sectors that stand out as must visit spots?

john arran 12 Feb 2020
In reply to jezb1:

> Got a few days there this w/e... It looks like there's shed loads to do, any recommendations on sectors that stand out as must visit spots?

Sorry, it was too long ago for such details to stick around in memory. We picked up a topo from - I think - the tourist office, and I don't remember looking at any sector that didn't seem excellent.

jezb1 12 Feb 2020
In reply to john arran:

No worries! There's a new guidebook that makes everything look ace

afshapes 13 Feb 2020
In reply to fammer:

Patones is fantastic , la pedriza is stunning but I needed more bravery points for that place ! 

KA 13 Feb 2020
In reply to fammer:

Whilst a bit further, northern Spain and in particular the crags covered in the Roca Verde guidebook would be worth considering. Ditto with Rodellar and also the areas covered in 'Escalada en las Torcas de Chodes', near Zaragoza.

Chris298 09 Mar 2020
In reply to fammer:

Mallorca is a great place. It can offer you everything, from climbing to relaxation at the wonderful beaches. I would chose the southwest Mallorca as this area has a good number of sport climbing crags around Palma and Valldemossa that are accessible from both of these cities. We arrived to Palma de Mallorca Airport, rented a car in advance at car hire mallorca company (it is possible to request for it on their site https://www.mallorcacarhirecompany.com/ ), so we had a possibility not only to climb, but also to visit the beautiful places on the island. It was a great trip.

Post edited at 13:35
 pog100 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Chris298:

Agreed but not exactly a drive/bus/train away from Madrid for a few days...?

Mike Shamash 09 Mar 2020
In reply to fammer:

Ayna in Castille la Mancha is about 3.5 hrs (I think) from Madrid and is a beautiful place with plenty of excellent (limestone) climbing.

Only spent a few days there en route to Murcia region - it is supposed to be perfect in Spring / Autumn (I was there in winter and it was cold!). 

From memory there were numerous sectors for sunny / shady climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...