UKC

Tarf Hotel by bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

How close can you get mountain bikes to Tarf hotel bothy if approaching by Glen Tilt? Without having to basically carry the bike as well as everything on it...

if not to the bothy itself has anyone left bikes for a couple of days while in the bothy? Are there places to leave them relatively hidden?

Mike-W-99 04 Feb 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

All the way to the stable at the end of the estate track.

Fiona Reid 04 Feb 2019

I doubt you'd have an issue with someone stealing the bike from somewhere so remote.

That said, as it's a long walk out I'd still take a lightweight lock so you can lock the wheel to the frame and thus deter any opportunists who fancy a quick ride out.  

In reply to Mike-W-99 and Fiona:

thanks- I spotted the mentioned stable on other threads - are the estate ok with people leaving bikes at it? 

And is the terrain from then on push-able, or not even that...?

Mike-W-99 04 Feb 2019

When I say stable it’s more like a shed. I don’t think there would be issues but be aware that you may have to change any hill plans during the stalking season.

I’d not bother trying to push a bike along the ‘path’ to the bothy.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

Ok thanks- looking at May so that should be ok with regards to stalking I think?

The Estate have no problem with leaving bikes at the Pony Shed as long as they are not put in their store section (the shackled door part on the right) as they keep some of their stores in there.

The walking path to the bothy from thr Pony Hut goes up the left hand side of the river, it does not have any river crossings, not generally used by cyclists as its rough and boggy and steep in places.

The Estate track goes up the Right hand side of the river but involves at least 6 crossings, two of which are difficult in a Landrover.

I have met many cycists who come up past the pony hut on the right hand side, clearly dependant on the river level as you would expect but most who do choose to leave their bikes at the Rowan Burn ( NN 934 796) crossing and walk in from there as it involves no more crossings until the wee crossing at the bothy. Its about a mile from the Rowan Burn to the bothy

PS I`m the jannie for the Tarf with the MBA

Rick Graham 04 Feb 2019
In reply to richard marshall:

How far is the bothy from the main track in glen tilt?

Lots of trees to hide the bike away in glen tilt before the suspension bridge.

Richard that’s very helpful, thanks. 

Mike-W-99 04 Feb 2019

Hi Richard, what about the burn just before the bothy. Isn’t it a bit tricky at times?

In reply to Rick Graham:

About six miles from the start of the track at NN 971 775 to the Bothy, It`s all uphill to the shoulder of Dun Mhor it`s a brave man/woman that can cycle up the hill to Dun Beag.

There`s plenty places to stash a bike in the heather at the track end, there are no trees close to the turn off, never known a bike getting pinched from the glen.

The glen road you take is a good bit short of the Bedford Memorial Bridge, dont even think about taking a bike up that track, it`s a bad enough walk.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

The Feith Uaine burn at the South side of the bothy is the only water you cross if you go up the left trad path. We built a new crossing there bout 3 years ago so you will get over dry shod in May month, its very close to the front door of the bothy.

The crossing still does get covered in spate conditions but the water rises and falls quickly, the new crossing is about 4 feet off the burn.

Mike-W-99 04 Feb 2019

Thanks, that most post date my last visit then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...