UKC

what's the post brexit insurance deal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hanakin 22 Sep 2021

Allo,

I've used Austrian Alpine insurance for the last few years, but noticed a reference to EHIC on their website and realised they might not cover medical costs for accidents- well overall I'm a bit confused. However, I take it most other holiday medical cover won't cover climbing related injury even if your rescue service is covered by AA? Can anyone clarify/ has cheap recommendations? Off to Croatia for single and multipitch trip.

Cheers

Post edited at 21:52
 Howard J 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Hanakin:

EHICs are still valid in the EU until they expire, then you'll have to apply for a GHIC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

Trythallj 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Howard J:

But ehics not valid in Switzerland, I think. 

Trythallj 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Trythallj:

Sorry, meant GHICs.

Howard J 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Trythallj:

The EHIC (and presumably the GHIC) only entitle you to the same level of state-provided health care that a national of that country would receive, which is not necessarily the same level as we would get on the NHS. You might have to pay for some of your medical treatment even with an EHIC, and it has always been advisable to take out medical insurance as well.  I believe most policies require you to have a card so they only have to pay for any costs which that does not cover. 

The GHIC doesn't include Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland (all non-EU) which are covered by EHIC, although there is scope to add other countries in future.  Of course in countries which the EHIC doesn't cover you have always needed full insurance. 

kevin stephens 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Hanakin:

Cheapest and best deal can often be very different for insurance policies. Go with BMC

Jenny C 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Howard J:

> The EHIC (and presumably the GHIC) only entitle you to the same level of state-provided health care that a national of that country would receive, which is not necessarily the same level as we would get on the NHS. You might have to pay for some of your medical treatment even with an EHIC, and it has always been advisable to take out medical insurance as well.  I believe most policies require you to have a card so they only have to pay for any costs which that does not cover. 

I know one travel policy I had didn't charge an excess for claims under medical IF you used an EHIC to reduce the cost of treatment.

OP Hanakin 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Hanakin:

ok great, thanks everyone. Luckily I applied for a new EHIC only 2 years ago so should have a good innings left with it.

ChrisJD 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Hanakin:

Check Snowcard insurance.

We use them for family annual cover (renewed this year in August)

Post edited at 18:39
 Trythallj 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Howard J:

My reading indicates that Switzerland etc will not recognize unexpired EHICs as well as GHICs, as things stand at present.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...