UKC

Where should I base myself in the Peaks? (trad)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Memelle 03 May 2019

Hello! My partner and I are headed to the Peaks mid June for about a week, mainly for trad climbing, maybe a bit of bouldering. We don't have the guidebooks yet so I haven't seen their recommendations, but I'm trying to vaguely find where to aim for in terms of accommodation (ideally for the whole week) (campsite/caravan site - We'll be staying in a tiny campervan and pitching a small tent next to it to chuck stuff in).

Where would be a good place to base ourselves, to have access to a maximum of areas with minimal driving (I know, I'm asking for a lot but I saw there were a million campsites and crags!), knowing we'll probably be focusing on the crags from the Rockfax Limestone + Eastern Grit books?

Any area or even specific campsite recommendations (or list of must-climbs for the enthusiasts!) would be very welcome! Many thanks!

robert-hutton 03 May 2019
In reply to Memelle:

North leas campsite, would be a good choice few minutes walk to Stanage and easy drive to the dales.

https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/getactive/camping/camping-northlee...

OP Memelle 03 May 2019
In reply to robert-hutton:

Thanks! You're actually the second person to recommend that campsite Unfortunately I think they can't really accommodate us (small campervan + tent) unless we get a caravan pitch which is quite expensive :p Will keep it in mind though!

robert-hutton 03 May 2019
In reply to Memelle:

Three campsites in the hope valley, but now you have to drive to the gritstone crags.

For limestone Beech Croft Farm is just above Cheedale https://www.beechcroftfarm.co.uk

OP Memelle 03 May 2019
In reply to robert-hutton:

Awesome, thanks for the recs

mrphilipoldham 03 May 2019
In reply to Memelle:

Hayfield campsite, not particularly on the doorstep of anywhere (unless you fancy esoterica) but equidistant to the eastern edges, Roaches and Chew Valley for max Peak grit exposure!

In reply to Memelle:

Barn Farm Camping/Caravanning at Birchover is also well worth thinking about for the southern peak. Excellent in every way. Very well placed for Black Rocks, Harborough, Cratcliffe, Robin Hood's Stride, High Tor, Wild Cat and Willersley.

OP Memelle 03 May 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Will check it out, thanks!

OP Memelle 03 May 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Ah I hadn't come across that one yet. Thanks for the recommendation!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...