UKC

AAC Insurance Question?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Merlin 19 Dec 2014
A question for AAC members/insurance users;

Does it cover you for skiing inc backcountry, park, piste etc?
 humptydumpty 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Merlin:

> “Activities as members of the Association”
> is understood to mean:
> • participation in any event announced by Sections of the ÖAV,
> • pursuit (including the private pursuit outside Section events) of the
> following sports: hiking tours, mountaineering, climbing, skiing, ski-
> touring, snowboarding, white-water canoeing, canyoning and mountain
> bike/trekking cycle tours. (Mountain bike/trekking cycle tours are un-
> derstood as those undertaken in sportswear, on forest roads, woodland
> and other unmade tracks, and on identified or marked cycle paths. Acci-
> dents on roads also open to motor vehicles, on cycle paths in municipal
> or built up areas are not insured unless the accident occurs in the course
> of a mountain bike or trekking cycle tour as described above.)
> Insurance cover extends to all of Europe including the islands of the Me-
> diterranean (excluding the islands in the Atlantic, Iceland, Greenland and
> Spitzbergen as well as the Asian part of Turkey and the Commonwealth
> of Independent States).

- http://aacuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/AV-WWS-Folder_E_2015_ebook.p...

I think that's a yes.
OP Merlin 19 Dec 2014
In reply to humptydumpty:

Ta, you never can be too careful since those poor boys were almost ditched by the BMC after their helicopter rescue.
 beckycoles 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Hi, the AAC are good, and I have claimed on it for a minor ski accident without any problems, but make sure you are comfortable with the rescue limits. AAC rescue limit 25,000 Euros, BMC £100,000. The AAC limit may not be enough to cover a rescue in Switzerland for example - someone with more experience of this may have better info than me on this. If you do decide to go with the AAC cover then make sure that you have a valid EHIC card as the medical cover is very low and you could be relying on EHIC cover costs.
 Casa Alfredino 20 Dec 2014
In reply to beckycoles:

Having been pulled off by rega a few years ago, I can tell you what it cost, 2,500 swiss francs a head between 5 people, so that's 12500 swiss francs in total - I guess the moral of the story is don't get rescued on your own?
 Casa Alfredino 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Mind you, they were excellent at paying up - I just sent them the bill when it arrived and I never heard another thing!
 jonnie3430 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Merlin:

> Ta, you never can be too careful since those poor boys were almost ditched by the BMC after their helicopter rescue.

While she has a short haircut, one of them is offended when mistaken...
redsonja 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Merlin:

I read that the AAC insurance is a lot cheaper than the BMC. is this true? and can you join the AAC regardless of which country you live in? thanks and sorry to hijack the thread
 GridNorth 22 Dec 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Yes, there is a UK "branch". You also get 50% discount on alpine huts but you need to take out additional travel insurance as this is not included. You should also check if the cover is adequate as it is not as comprehensive as the BMC. I've been a member since the BMC changed their underwriters and the premiums increased significantly several years ago.
 Andy Say 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Merlin:

> Ta, you never can be too careful since those poor boys were almost ditched by the BMC after their helicopter rescue.

Just check out the details of that claim and you will realise that you are talking utter crap. 'Ditched by the BMC'? Get real!
 Andy Say 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Thought I should expand on my suggestion that you are talking utter crap..

The original rescue - if I have it right - was for a couple of Brits who got benighted on a dolomites face. Rescue team logged it as a 'non-emergency'rescue. BMC insurance underwriters refused to pay out on that basis. 'Not an Emergency' so not covered.

THEN BMC supported a claim to the insurance ombudsman, AGAINST their own insurers, by the 'rescuees' and have since dumped their underwriters on the basis that they want good quality cover for their members.

'Ditched by the BMC'?

Pillock.
redsonja 22 Dec 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Thanks for this- I will check it all out. Like you, i find the BMC insurance really expensive
 Andy Say 22 Dec 2014
In reply to redsonja:

If you join AAC you get free insurance. So it is cheaper. But there is less cover.

If you are a BMC member you can buy into their insurance which is tailored to different regions / activities.
 NottsRich 15 Jan 2015
In reply to andyathome:

Correct. New underwriters if I understand this correctly.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/new-and-improved-bmc-travel-insurance

"The new scheme went live today (12 January 2015) using a completely new underwriter, claims handling company and emergency assistance provider."
 Jenny C 15 Jan 2015
In reply to redsonja:

BMC sell a Travel Insurance Policy to their members, it's not cheap but generally has a good reputation.

AAC include basic activity insurance to their members (yes you can take it out if you live in the UK), they do not ask any health questions or have age restrictions and again have a good reputation.

AAC membership is NOT a Travel Insurance policy - you will probably want to take out a standard Travel Insurance Policy to cover the many benefits not covered by AAC membership (baggage, cancellation etc).
 blackcat 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Merlin: just found an insurers called MPI, anyone used these.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...