UKC

Booking a "full" hut on the day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heggie 20 Jun 2023

I'm trying to figure out if this is possible and how unwise it would be to base my plans on this.

I'm spending a week hut to hut hiking in July on the Swiss/Austrian border. I have made reservations at all the huts on our route, but I've taken a fancy to extend the trip by one day to pop up a summit near our final hut. 

This requires an extra night in the hut. But unfortunately this happens to be on a Saturday and alpsonline reservation system is showing the hut as booked up.

I'm trying to work out the chance of being able to make a booking in person on the day? We would already be at the hut we want to stay at so could chat to the hut guardian in the morning. I've been led to believe that the huts only allow advance reservations up to 90% of the hut capacity so I'm hopeful it would be possible to get a bed since we'd be at the front of the "queue".

I sent an email to the hut guardian to enquire, but I wonder if anyone here has any experience of this and can advise?

Cheers!

McHeath 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Heggie:

I think your chances would be pretty good, if you have a chat with the guardian when you arrive. They´ll usually find a solution if you´re actually there to climb something and not just passing through on the way to the next hut.

Post edited at 13:58
 MG 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Heggie:

Give them a ring. They live a pretty hassled existence and probably won't get to an email until it's too late, if at all!

Pero 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Heggie:

The huts seem to get regular cancellations for Saturday night. I've gone on the waiting list several times and always got in due to cancellation. 

tjekel 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Heggie:

Depending on the hut there should also be "Notlager" (literally emergency spaces), which can not be booked but are there for late arrival or emergency. These are usually a little rough around the edges - a matress and a blanket somewhere on the floor, but you won't die instantly. You may enquire about this as well, if you arrive reasonably late and don't make it down to the valley in reasonable time ...

OP Heggie 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Heggie:

Thank you for the suggestions all.

I did get an email back from the hut guardian and unfortunately they seemed pretty negative on this saying it is not possible. Something might have got lost in translation of course.

I'll get myself on the wait list and hope for the best I suppose.

VictorM 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Heggie:

I would just give them a ring on the day. Fridays and Saturdays are generally fully booked in advance but also tend to see a lot of last minute cancellations - especially if the weather is suboptimal. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...