UKC

First 8000m peak options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Superchop75 28 Jan 2012
Looking to do the first 8000er in the next few years.

Any advice appreciated.

Not sure I fancy Cho Oyu.

Cheers.

Chris
 JR 28 Jan 2012
In reply to Superchop75:

Gasherbrum II ?
 Nathan Adam 28 Jan 2012
In reply to Superchop75: Apparently Broad Peak is jut a snow plod. Manaslu is supposed to be a good alternative to Cho Oyu aswell. But don't quote me on either of the above !
 AndyC 28 Jan 2012
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to Superchop75) Apparently Broad Peak is jut a snow plod.

The dangers and difficulties of BP should not be underestimated, however, BP or G-II are both good options for a first 8000er, and a lot cheaper than Nepal or Tibet. And a far better mountaineering experience all round.
OP Superchop75 28 Jan 2012
In reply to Nath93

I'd thought Manaslu.

Sounds a bit more interesting (and serious) than Cho Oyu.

Anybody done it??
 Nathan Adam 28 Jan 2012
In reply to AndyC: Yeah, anywhere in the Karakorum is dangerous ! Pakistan seems like a lot more fun to me than Nepal and would probably give a better culture experience aswell.
ice.solo 28 Jan 2012
In reply to Superchop75:

broad peak.

snow plod to start with, but gets interesting fast. much quieter than nepal, a different crowd, pakistan alone is amazing.

and you get to sit and stare at k2 every day, which puts everything into perspective.
 Gawyllie 29 Jan 2012
In reply to Superchop75:i'm proberly biased towards Pakistan being the only 'Greater range' i've made it to but from what an experienced guide told me a few years ago and from what i've looked at since if i was going for one i'd go for G2. BP is supposed to be very condition dependant.
 Gawyllie 29 Jan 2012
In reply to ice.solo: although the thought of staring at K2 everyday is appealing!
 AndyC 29 Jan 2012
In reply to punj:
> (In reply to Superchop75)i'm proberly biased towards Pakistan being the only 'Greater range' i've made it to but from what an experienced guide told me a few years ago and from what i've looked at since if i was going for one i'd go for G2. BP is supposed to be very condition dependant.

Both are condition dependant, especially from BC to camp 1. On BP the danger is largely rock fall and to a certain extent avalanche on the lower slopes. But at least you are 'climbing' straight from the glacier. On G-II you have a long and tiring slog through the icefall, avoiding the crevasses. The climbing doesn't really begin until above C1. I prefer BP to G-II, but after the sun turns the snow to porridge they are both b****ds!

JR 30 Jan 2012
In reply to ice.solo:

I wouldn't say Broad Peak was a great first choice if you wanted to maximise your chances of summiting (I went there as my 1st). The summit day is a very big day and contains the most technical climbing on the mountain. Don't expect fixed ropes much above camp 2 (6500m ish) - not that you really need them if you're competent and conditions are hugely variable, getting down from camp 1 was probably the most dangerous section. Having said that if you're keen for the challenge then go for it.

You won't be alone on either Broad Peak or G2. There'll be around 50 - 75 people in BC for each mountain, if not more for G2.

www.broadpeak2011.co.uk
 Rourke 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Superchop75:

I would personally recommend Cho Oyu, it is a bit of a slog and if you are into the technical side of things I can see how it wouldn't appeal

But it depends on what you want to get out of it. Personally I went there to see how my body coped at that altitude and was mainly it in for the physical challenge so it was perfect for me
 The Bushman 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Superchop75:

Why unsure of Cho Oyu? If you want to go high only you know how technically apt and experienced you are. You could go up Everest on a guided tour and need little tech experience but the cost is mega(south side).

Why not go to lower mountains 6500-7500 where you could be the only person on the mountain, cost less and experience the mountains as they should be. The main high peaks are littered with people and their litter. There are so many choices if you do a bit of research. OR alternatively go to the Andes and the lesser known 6500-6900 dirt cheap and lovely. Not including Aconcagua of course.
ice.solo 30 Jan 2012
In reply to The Bushman:

good angle.

it all depends what youre in this for. if its to tick an 8000m peak, then go 'easy' on G2, BP, whatever. if its to build up to some particular project then the 7000m idea is great as it will allow for more technical climbing in a less diluted environment with potentially more focus on the logistics. if its the start of an attempt for all 14 then again the easy option, but maybe something in nepal where you can throw down a 6000m acclimatizing peak before hand.
if its about everest then think about the company you might use for that as building a relationship with could work for the greater process.

much depends too on how into all this you want to get. how willing are you to accept NOT summiting? how into BC life are you?
the differences between nepal and pakistan are significant and worth taking into account.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...