UKC

Pyrenees Adventure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arran.Redman 30 May 2022

Hi Friends, 

Two of us are heading to the Pyrenees, very much open to suggestions for routes (Trad, Sport and Alpine) we climb up to E2 and are looking for good featured adventure climbs. Nothing too heart wrenchingly scary, but just good fun. We have never been there on just a climbing adventure so happy to hear from anyone who has had a great time. 

We are going in July so are focusing on rock. 

Let us know what you think,

Arran  

pec 30 May 2022
In reply to Arran.Redman:

Having been twice recently I'd say the area of the French Pyrenees National Park is as good a place to start as any,  based around the Gavarnie and neighbouring valleys.

There is a useful guidebook to this area called "Plaquettes dans les Vallées des Gaves"

which is in French but still quite usable even if you don't speak much.

It covers sport and trad from single pitch quickly accessed  crags to big multi pitch stuff.

I'd say its worth doing one of the routes in the Cirque de Gavarnie for the atmosphere of the place. Easiest line is about HS but there are harder options from about HVS.

The nearby NE ridge of the Petit Astazou is a good day out, quite easy HS/VS ish and about 14-16 pitches.

There are various medium length routes on the Pic de Sarradets near the Breche Roland which also has some climbs.

There's not much Alpine stuff left in the Pyrenees but the North Face of the Vignemale is the classic of the area with a short glacier approach and descent. Technically easy, VSish but big and not to be undertaken lightly. I don't think it's in the book above though it is in that area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...