UKC

Saastal easy summits: B2 or B3 boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Beard 30 Jul 2023

Planning on staying at Saas Grund from August BH for 2 weeks. We'll be attempting our first 4000ms so all the usual easy suspects after we've acclimatised. I doubt that we will go much over 4200m & looking at F+ to PD routes. I have a choice between B2 boots (which are a bit bendy but I have flex bars) or some fairly light B3s, taking the train so can't carry both, recommendations please!

phizz4 30 Jul 2023
In reply to Duncan Beard:

When I did the Weismeiss, Allalinhorn, Jegihorn and Balfrin (apologies for spelling mistakes, don't have a map with me) I used a pair of Salomon B2 boots, (heel clip and basket front crampons) and had no problems at all. I wouldn't be tempted to use my B3 boots at all unless I was going a lot higher. Used with Petzl hybrid 12 point crampons.

Pero 30 Jul 2023

> Planning on staying at Saas Grund from August BH for 2 weeks. We'll be attempting our first 4000ms so all the usual easy suspects after we've acclimatised. I doubt that we will go much over 4200m & looking at F+ to PD routes. I have a choice between B2 boots (which are a bit bendy but I have flex bars) or some fairly light B3s, taking the train so can't carry both, recommendations please!

B3 boots are not suitable for the majority of classic alpine routes, especially at the lower grades. B2 boots, however, shouldn't be bendy.

The important thing is that the boots are in good condition and warm enough.

rockcatch 30 Jul 2023

I’ve been up the easy routes round there such as Weissmies, Strahlhorn, Jegihorn, Mittaghorn, and Allalinhorn in B1or B2 boots. You should be fine with B2 boots. The main thing for me was comfort walking in them all day when it isn’t very technical. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...